Thursday 24 February 2011

Chill


We were told to expect another 10 cm of snow today, but it didn't happen.

Wind happened though, which made it look like it was snowing. Blustery tornadoes of snow getting picked up and thrown around and then falling back down to re-settle somewhere new. It was pretty, once you were safely warm inside.

I drove in with a co-worker today and will be doing the same tomorrow. The roads are really mixed. Some are pretty clear, others are slick with ice and some are somewhere in-between.

It's interesting to drive around and see what municipalities are handling their streets better than others. (I live in one municipality and work in another and can sometimes drive through a third on my way to or from work but we're all "Greater Victoria" for you out of towners.)

Even where the streets are bare, the side streets aren't and what was driven on, or walked on, yesterday froze last night and is now ice. It's not ideal and I'm grateful to be driving with someone again tomorrow. There's something about being in a less than safe situation with someone else that just makes it better. For me, at least, that's how I find it.

I went for a walk, as usual, and got to try out my awesome snow boots that I bought last year and haven't really had much of a chance to use. They are, by the way, awesome. I also added some "tracks" onto the bottom so even walking on the ice was do-able, although my broken elbow and I preferred to walk in the snowbanks or on dry pavement to make sure we avoided another fall. That, my friends, would not have gone over well.

We're not expecting to warm up until Sunday, so I'm enjoying seeing the pretty white stuff while it's here. It's always a surprise to wake up one morning and it's all back to green.

I'm curled up under a blankie with a hot water bottle as I write this; it's the perfect way to wind down on a chilly evening.

I hope your Thursday was good and that your Friday leads you into an excellent weekend.

Talk soon.

6 comments:

Jonathan said...

An excellent weekend for me would be a very, very quiet one.

I love how consistent you are with blogging... you are my "go to" blog, to catch up with somebody far away that will always have shared a few words :)

I guess that's a long winded way of saying I think you rock...

Just Sayin... said...

Excellent Idea.. hotwater bottle under the blankies.. :) So trying that tonight as my heat crapped out in the building over night.. just can't handle the cold snaps.

Snowshoe to work!! Or is it too far?

Epiphany said...

My cold evenings are spent under the electric blanket, glass of wine and Meow Mix purring next to me. I love just chillaxin. Stay warm, sweetie, and remember that we wouldn't appreciate summer quite as much without this crazy weather! xoxo

Victoria said...

Well, I hope that one of these weekends soon you get a quiet on Jonathan! And thanks :)


Brrrr JS, not a good time for heating to go on strike! I could totally snowshoe to work. Just would have to get up really really early. And buy snowshoes! ;)

Mmmm that sounds cozy too Epiphany! And it's so true. These chilly days make summer that much sweeter :D

randomstranger said...

Hey Victoria, I was wondering - from your experience, do you think it's worth it to sign up for online dating? I've always been skeptical but... lately I've been thinking about it.

Victoria said...

Hey Random Stranger :)
Hmmm, that's a big question! I know people who've found their husband/wife through online dating and I know people who have had horrible experiences. For me, I've so far had some uncomfortable experiences and nothing great, but it's been worth it for me just to get me outside of my comfort zone. I haven't given up yet. Maybe try it and you can always give up on it if it doesn't work out. Just be sensible and safe and trust your instincts I'd say. :)