Thursday 10 March 2011

Discovery


I think I probably shouldn't drive after running.

I think I could be charged with driving while impaired.

See, I'm super lucky in that I get a lovely glow after my running and whether it's caused by endorphins or epinephrine or serotonin, or dopamine or all of them hanging out and having a party because I've accomplished yet another run or what, but I always always feel good after.

Same thing happens for me after yoga most times, I find myself in this "I love the world and I love life and I just feel good" mode for an hour or two after.

Usually, I run from my house and back to my house but the other day I ran after work with a co-spy of mine and drove home after.

Now, I've never driven after running and I usually don't do much after a run other than stretch and shower and relax so it wasn't until the other day that I realized that my post-run happy also comes with a big dose of happy and relaxed.

Which, unfortunately, does not make for the safest of driving, apparently.

As in, I found myself waiting for the light so I could turn right and I'd forgotten to turn on my signal. Now, mind you I was in a right hand turn only lane, so it's not like I was a danger particularly, but I don't like to drive at less than my best and apparently running makes me, well, high.

Who knew, eh?

5 comments:

Just Sayin... said...

High = Runners High, Yoga High.

I love the yoga high but I have a hate for the class before it begins.

Single and Picky said...

I like the yogic high but it is very different from the runner's high for me at least. The whole high thing wears off really fast for me when I'm doing long distance training. I don't think it's a high at the end of the marathon as so much it is a brain meltdown. I cannot seriously remember everything past finishing either marathon than if I sit down will the pain end?

Victoria said...

Well JS, I rarely enjoy the run before or during either ;)

I'm not sure I'd even be able to walk a marathon SnP, my goodness!

Jonathan Beckett said...

Next time I go for a run (which might as well be next millenium, the way I'm going at the moment), I'll take a bit more notice...

I know I usually feel good about having been for the run, but no really sure that it changes my thought processes at all.

Victoria said...

Hmmmm, maybe I'm just extra lucky?