Thursday 17 March 2011

It's Not My Bag, Baby

I had a rough week last week. A really rough week.

And either because of it or just to go along with it my stomach wasn't happy. I loaded up on Gravol (it magically stopped the pain, hurray!) and made it through the week.

Why do I mention this?

Because when I made the decision to meet someone yesterday, my stomach got all mad again. Not quite *as* mad, mind you, but it was definitely grumpy.

So to be already nervous about meeting someone and to have your stomach get all grumpy on top of that is not exactly fun.

And, hey, if you don't sleep the night before because your mind is twisting itself into weirdness and you wake up in a foul mood with an upset stomach and nerves? YAY!

So, yeah. I had a date yesterday.

Or, a "date" because, really, for me this whole online dating thing is not so much dating as it is meeting a complete stranger for the first time.

I don't mean to be down and negative about it but I'm still a little Gravol-ed up at the moment and when my tummy's upset, I'm never the happiest of campers.

The meeting was fine and I'll talk more about it tomorrow, but I am now certain of one thing.

I do not enjoy the process of meeting new people.

I just don't.

I know some people thrive on it. I'm not one of those people and I'm going to have to accept that and work with it.

It's strange though because I love people. I love watching people and talking to people and I love my friends and I love learning about people and reading their stories but I do not like this whole process of meeting someone I've never met before in this sort of situation.

I got home yesterday after meeting this fellow and I sat down and thought about how I'd met my ex-boyfriends.

With all of them, I'd met them in some kind of informal, group situation before we chose to go on a date together.

Be it a party or at work or school or at a get together, I've always always met them in a group of people, felt a connection, chatted with them a bit and made a date to meet.

So this is completely new and foreign and utterly uncomfortable for me.

I'm alone, on the spot, one on one with someone I don't know and I'm not relaxed or at ease or in my zone, or, if I think about it some more, I'm not drinking either.

But, anyway. More on things tomorrow. I just had to put it out there and get it off my chest that I really do not like this way of meeting people.

To quote Mr Austin Powers: it's not my bag, baby.



P.S. As an added bonus, when I went to YouTube to try and find the Austin Powers quote, this is one of the videos that randomly showed up in my search. Who remembers this beauty? And who can resist dancing/singing along?

Blackstreet - No Diggity

8 comments:

SMITHY GALLERY said...

Ditto ditto ditto. I've had to give it a rest for now. Hope you tummy feels better :)

Single and Picky said...

BOO icky tummy BOO!

Yes I agree, it is easier when you both have someone else to difuse the awkwardness - well unless that person is your father and godmother - yes that is who "difused" the awkwardness when C and I met... just think about how awesome that was...

Chin up with regards to the meeting, you're a great girl, we all can see that, it will work out when it's meant to.

In the meantime, maybe it's just the flu, it's going around.

Allan R E said...

What you need is for me to make you pasta and gealic bread!!!

I make a very decent tomato sauce!!

Seriously!! I'm malking it tonight and I'm a pretty cool guy!

Peace,
Allan

Victoria said...

I hear you Natalie :) And thanks ;)


Boo indeed SnP! And oh my, I can't imagine that awkwardness ;)
Thanks. . .
And, yes, there has been a flu going around so maybe that's what it is :)


Strangely enough Allan, that's just what I had for dinner! :)

Allan R E said...

You snuck aboard and pilfered some of my sauce?? I thought there was a little less than there should have been! Sneaky ;)

Kas said...

I get VERY anxious meeting new people, going to new places, doing new thngs, etc...

I met my husband thru my exhusband. (tee hee)...

I can seriously understand how you feel....

Single Girl said...

OMG - I SO hear you, girl!! I feel the exact same way. I HATE online dating and as many guys as I have met that way, just never feel that....something, you know? As you said, it's much more 'meeting strangers for the first time' than 'dating'. I sense instinctually that I will never fall for someone this way, but I'm not meeting guys the 'ordinary' ways either - so what's a girl to do? :)

Victoria said...

That's why I'm such a good spy Allan! ;)


Oh my Kas!


Yeah, SG, what's a single girl to do indeed? Sigh. . .