Tuesday 15 March 2011

On My Mind


I try not to talk about big, heavy things here, but sometimes it's hard not to.

I'm not even sure I can find the right words, the right thoughts to say what it is I want to say or to express how it is I'm feeling.

It's always strange at these times to realize that life is going on here in my little corner of the world even as it's falling apart elsewhere. And that while my tiny tragedies may mean the world to me, some others are dealing with. . . well, devastation. And how do you recover from that?

I've made myself sick watching footage of the earthquake and tsunami and it's somehow that very footage that makes it more frightening but that also makes it seem unreal; like a movie gone bad.

Living in an earthquake zone, I like to talk myself into a sense of security. I tell myself that the big one will wait til I'm long gone but seeing this industrialized nation, a nation well aware of and prepared for the dangers of an earthquake has shaken me on a human level but for selfish reasons as well because I don't want to have to live through something like this in my lifetime and I'm saddened and scared that people are.

But I can't bring myself to a halt by taking in all the bad news, so I try to hold on to the good stories. Like the local families who have heard from their loved ones. Or like the friend of my good friend's mom who was visiting Japan and was on a flight that took off two minutes before the earthquake struck.

Two minutes.

There are wonderful, lucky, happy, hopeful stories out there and I need to find them and focus on them, because otherwise it's too easy to get overwhelmed by it all.

So while I try not to dwell on the heavy things here, I just wanted to stop for a moment today and send my love, support, prayers and hope towards Japan and the Japanese people.

Because they're on my mind. And in my heart.

4 comments:

Just Sayin... said...

Lovely post. xo

Dugout Daisy said...

My friends parents live in Sendai... they were on vacation in Tokyo and weren't home, we can't even imagine what would have happened if they had been home. Even though they lost everything, they still have each other.
Every day you just have to be thankful for the life you are living... whether it be hard or easy to another persons eyes... just be thankful you are alive.
love this post.

Kas said...

"Because they're on my mind. And in my heart."

Yes.

My sentiments exactly.

HUGS!!

Victoria said...

Thanks JS

Oh Daisy! *hugs*

Back at you Kas. . .