Wednesday 6 April 2011

Oh Shush

I want stuff.

Fun stuff that I don't need or really would even use that much once I'd gotten it.

Like, I want an iPhone and an iPad.

But here's the thing... or one of the things. I don't need either one of these things.

I have an old iPod touch that my parents gave me because they weren't using it enough and I hardly use the thing myself.

Sure, I have a couple of app games I play but they're almost more of an annoyance than anything else now that I've gotten the hang of them.

I use my laptop a ton at home of course, but don't really need a replacement for it.

People have told me I'd love an iPad, but my laptop is working just fine (knock on wood) and would I even use an iPad enough to justify the cost?

Same with an iPhone. I have a cell phone that works just fine and I don't even really use it that much.

I text on it and take an occasional phone call in my car (which uses Bluetooth so I pretend I'm in a spaceship because it's super cool!) and I sometimes use the calculator to help me figure out what tip to leave at a restaurant, but do I need an iPhone? Not really.

But I want one.

I want one like a child having a tantrum in the store over the fruity cereal their Mom won't let them have.

Can I afford either one of them? No, not really. But seeing as I just did get my tax return back, the little whiny person inside of me says that I should use that money for FUN STUFF instead of paying off loans and other grownup stuff. I mean, who needs new shoes for Spring when I could have a FUN TOY THAT WOULD BE FUN! instead.

So I'm just kind of sitting here telling half of myself to shush and be quiet and go away because until I win the lottery and decide to buy a bunch of useless stuff just to have, I really don't need a new iAnything.

I hate being the grown up one though. Cuz sometimes I just want new stuff.

Sigh.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I went through the same thing, decided whether or not to get an iPhone!

I have an iPod Touch, but didn't use it much, basically just in my car because I have this... radio tuner inner thinger. :)

I got the phone though, my old one didn't have data, though I didn't NEED it... I love my new phone.

It's awesome. Super handy... Really, really, great.

And I told the guy I don't use data and was used to that so do I really need data??? He said, you'll be amazed how much you use it when you have it.

I think that if you don't buy yourself things you want rather than need very often, go for it.

Having said that, your phone bill may go up a bit to cover a data plan, but maybe there's an awesome promotional out there right now....

Just Sayin... said...

Needing Spring shoes IS a adult thing to buy!!!!.. I'm so using that excuse rather than "I want new shoes". ... I NEED new shoes.

I'm the same way. My friends gasp at me when I tell them I have no need for a data plan on my phone. I do not need to be "that" connected to the world 24/7.

I still have a landline too! *gasp* who does that? I do.

I constantly do the need over want arguement in my head. But when it comes down to it, if I have no practical use for it, I'm just not getting it. And it's saddens me sometimes.

Yay you for being strong!
And yes buy those new spring shoes!!!

Today's word verification is dosubl... not sure why that makes me giggle.

Kas said...

I don't have those things either. And as far as a landline... When I use my laptop (cuz I don't have a desk top!) at home, I have to connect to the world with-- DIAL UP!!! **gasp** which is why I don't surf the web too much at home.

My Word Verify for the day--

SISMS


Sounds like something I could catch!

Theromanticrealist said...

I just received iPad on Monday. I wanted something new. I've already used it for enough hours to justify the cost. We all deserve stuff.

Victoria said...

Glad to know Heather! :)

I know JS, Spring shoes is so grown up! Some of the word verifications have been hilarious lately ;)

Dial up Kas, awesome! And, please, stay well and don't get any Sisms ;)


Fun TRR! Hope you keep on loving it :)

Allan R E said...

Telus offered me a new phone for free (up to $200)...

I picked one out...

Then they told me it would cost $35 to set it up...

Then I started thinking: there is nothing wrong with the phone I have, what am I going to do with it? Throw it away?

Then I would need a new case...

I walked away with my old phone. The issue for me often comes down to waste and obsolescence. My phone works fine.

iProducts are sexy and fun but, I'm happy playing AngryBirds on my frined's iPhone or iPad!

on another note:

feeling spontaneous? I have an extra ticket to AWOLNATION...wanna go?

Allan

www.westcoastislander.weebly.com

Epiphany said...

JS - I agree! While you might "feel" you need these things to keep up with appearances, or society, or whatever, what you really need to make yourself feel fab is hit Marshalls or TJMax and buy yourself some super fun Spring/Summer outfits and shoes that will make you walk tall and feel as beautiful as we all know you are. When you pull your reg. old phone out of an adorable yellow bag...no one will care or notice anything but how stunningly stylish you are! Be good!

xoxo

Victoria said...

That's part of it too Allan, I don't want to be wasteful! :) (And, thanks for the invite, but I'm all out of spontaneity for the moment!)

So true Epiphany... :D

Truly said...

Invest in cute Etsy products. Then you get a cute new spring thing AND you get a package in the mail.
Just something to look forward to....

But that's what I would do.

-Tru.

Victoria said...

Good idea Truly :)

I tend to "invest" in books from amazon so I get something awesome and it comes in the mail! ;)

mk said...

I completely understand wanting an iPhone and an iPad--I did, and I got both. Am I happy? Yes. :)

I also develop apps now, and would love to have you check out our new one for ladies--Daily Hot Guy Life Coach. Let me know if you are interested and I'll get you hooked up with the app.

Buy the iPhone--do it! You can read, and play Scrabble on it.

Victoria said...

Oh MK, you're such a bad (good) influence! ;)

That app sounds hilarious, I'll check it out :D