Monday 2 May 2011

Before I Forget


So C-Dawg and I ran the TC10K yesterday and I want to remind myself of a few things for next year.

Keeping in mind that last year was the first time I'd ever even been anywhere near a 10K, the fact that I ran it this year is pretty awesome. Pretty darn awesome, actually.

That being said, a week ago my (now practically extinct) cold was so nasty I didn't even know if I could make it through the work week, so I'm pretty happy I was able to run it yesterday even if maybe I was secretly hoping to be a little bit faster than the first 10K I ran.

So, here's what I want to remind myself of for next year:

1. Wear your race shirt. It's so much fun reading people's teams and seeing who they're running with or for that you should wear your race shirt.

2. If it's beautiful and sunny again (which it was so perfectly so) go ahead and bring your sunglasses.

3. But you probably don't need your windbreaker.

4. In fact, you might have gotten away with just your shirt.

5. Unless it was windy, because really, the windbreaker is so light it wasn't that much of a bother tied around my waist. Your waist, I mean, future me.

6. Eat a good, filling, meal the night before. Nachos doesn't quite cut it because you know you're going to be up too early and too nervous for a good breakfast.

7. You will probably get emotional at some point during the race at some of the supporters on the sidelines. Totally normal and ok, but don't actually cry because then you can't breathe.

8. You need to go slowly at the start. I know you'll want to weave in and out of the walkers and stuff but you burned so much energy at the beginning that by the end you were dead. Maybe get a pace type GPS watch sort of thing and see if that helps.

9. If the race course is the same as last year the start was a little annoying, see if you can maybe start further up so you're not dodging so many people.

10. If at all possible, people cheering for you is really really nice. Someone (I still haven't figure out who) yelled out my name near the finish "GO VICTORIA!" and it was awesome. Don't be afraid to ask people to come out and cheer you on. Seeing people you knew at the sidelines was so inspiring and helpful.

11. Try not to be so nervous in the days leading up.

12. Try not to get a cold the week before.

13. You're actually fitter than you give yourself credit for. Sure, you may have felt like dying at the end of the race, but within a few minutes of being done, say five? you were breathing normally again and that shows you're not completely unfit.

14. If walking the 10K was more fun than running it this year, you don't have to run it again. It's supposed to be fun, so do whatever will be more fun for you.

15. The sunscreen was a good idea.

P.S. Don't cut your toenails the night before. They were fine.

Oh, and? Have some goodies already in your house for later that day. You might not be up for a dinner out but some nice treats waiting for you in the fridge would be great!

2 comments:

Single and Picky said...

CONGRATULATIONS HONEY!! I wish I could have been there to cheer you on. Don't worry I get emotional when I run too - it's a safe place to do that. And yes I would say that nachos aren't quite the best prerace food... but that's okay. I would say try to find something you can eat in the morning, even if it's tiny and you gag your way through the process. I normally really struggle pre race to eat - especially when most marathons start at some obscene hour and I'm up at 4am. But a little bagel or a little banana will go a long way.

Victoria said...

Yay, thanks!!!

I should have planned the morning food better, but yeah, was gagging down what I did try to eat ;)

I can't imagine trying to do that for a marathon, insane! :)