Wednesday 18 May 2011

Sarcasm

I don't do sarcasm well.

I tend to take people at their word, so when their word is a thinly disguised poke, and especially when it pokes close to an already raw nerve, I get hurt and upset.

I don't like being put in a position to feel like I have to explain myself or justify my actions at something that I then get told was "just a joke.

Sarcasm at its root is just mean. And those "jokes" that are told are often a way to say something without actually saying it.

People should just say what they mean and mean what they say and if you have a problem talk about it. Don't "joke" or tease your way around it.

That doesn't make anything better, and in fact, a lot of times it just plain hurts.

2 comments:

kandijay said...

I have an uncle who "teases." Constantly. About my love life, my weight, my intelligence.... My family is used to it, because this is how he has always been. And though I love him, I dread seeing him, because I have to hide how much his teasing hurts. If I get upset, somehow it's my fault for being too sensitive.

Victoria said...

I completely understand. It really does hurt. *hugs*