Wednesday 13 July 2011

Suspension of Disbelief

I don't like it when different tv shows reuse sets that are so iconic, you can't help but recognize them.

First it was Scrub's hospital entrance way on Parenthood, and now it's the glass Caprica house from Battlestar Gallactica on The Killing.

My problem with when this happens is that all of a sudden I'm reminded that this, what I'm watching, isn't actually real at all, I'm *not* actually following along in someone's life, it's just a made up, well produced television show.

And that's no fun. I miss me my pretend friends and stories. I prefer my disbelief to remain suspended.

So tv people? Please only reuse sets that aren't so totally recognizable. Kay?

Kay.

7 comments:

Just Sayin... said...

I've notice that with a few new sitcoms... really? Or maybeeeeeeeeeee I just watch way too much tv and I'm not suppose to actually notice.

The same when a new song comes out and the kids are all freaking out about how great it is, and you so badly want to tell them 1) its been sampled from artist's x,y,and z, or 2) the song is 30 years older than you are and 40-60 yrs older than the kid who is trying to claim it's original.

Get better executives and less reruns. lol

Anonymous said...

I feel the same when I see locations that I've been to in person in a show/movie. I watched a movie recently where they used St Ann's Academy and Camosun College as a University in the US. It wasn't as easy to get into the movie because of it!

Victoria said...

Yeah, that's what I was thinking as I wrote this JS...do I maybe watch too much tv? ;) So true about the songs too!

Ohh, yeah that'd be even worse Anon!

Jonathan Beckett said...

Have you seen "Paul" yet ? (the Simon Pegg & Nick Frost movie)

Victoria said...

I have :) I love those two :D

Anonymous said...

I feel like this when the show lacks continuity. I'm always ruining shows for myself by noticing stuff like the female character's hair is tucked behind her ear, now it's not, now it is, now it's not! Or when a guy is holding a coffee cup, now he's not, now he is, now he's not. It ruins the whole show for me by reminding me it's not REAL! Surely it should be someone's job to ensure continuity between different shots? I notice this kind of stuff in most shows/movies.

Victoria said...

Know what's crazy? I think they DO have people whose job that is!!! I guess they just don't always do their job well. Maybe that could be your next career move! :)