Tuesday 23 August 2011

The Fan Has Been Hit

Floating Away by foundimagination
See, this is why I don't usually blog something the moment it happens (unlike what I did last week, ahem.)

I got some really shocking news about five days ago and now I'm so much calmer than when it happened.

They're doing some repairs to the building I live in and they've discovered things are more serious than initially thought, so it won't be safe for tenants to be here (apparently it's not cool to have people living in a building that will have no heat, hot water or electricity. Go figure!) so they've given us all just over two months notice that we have to leave.

I was completely not expecting this when the knock came on my door and I was floored.

There were tears. Lots of them.

And panic.

Much of it.

But now I've had a few days to think (and panic and cry some more) and I'm ok.

I don't have a solid plan yet, but I have some... back up plans that will work if nothing else does.

Including the possibility of needing to stay with my parents for a few months.

Imagine the excellent blogging that will make, my friends! (No, I tease, my parents are wonderful. Just doesn't leave much room for late night make out sessions does it. Not that that's happening. Or will be happening. I'm just saying. Ahem.)

So, yeah. That's on my mind. But I'm trying not to freak out. Or at least not too much.

But I spent this weekend sorting and packing and getting rid of things and that's helped.

After the initial shock, I put the word out to my friends and their response assured me that something will work out and whatever it is, it'll be fine.

I'll be fine.

So, yeah, how was your weekend?

Crazier than mine?

9 comments:

Just Sayin... said...

Are you being asked to move out? If so, refuse, it's a renoviction which is illegal.

If they're asking you to temporarly relocate (leaving your belongings behind)that's not so bad. They should be arranging for you to stay in a hotel, and paying part of it, if not all of it. They can't ask you to leave without accomodating you in some way. Period.

Call the tenancy branch in Victoria and talk to a tenancy officer to make sure you're on top of what is legal and what isn't.

Stress cries are needed to think straight, especially when you're already emotionally wound up in other areas.

Keep us informed.
xo

Claus said...

Listen to Just Sayin', this could very well be a renoviction. They happen quite a bit in Vancouver on the West End when older building can be rented out for more and they want to get rid of everyone in one shot.

Just a quick search got this: http://mondaymag.com/articles/entry/renovictims-no-more/

Mrs. Wilson said...

Um, my van got stolen last night? Although that wasn't the weekend, was it?

Sorry about your building. Hopefully you'll find somewhere fun to live. :)

Kas said...

WOW-- yeah, JS sounds like she has some good advice.

I finished my Bathroom! Well, one of them anyway... Pics posted!

Good Luck- don't let them push you out if it's not legal to do so....

Victoria said...

I'll make sure I look into it JS, but they seem to be handling it very nicely and legally, which I appreciate.

Fair enough Claus...

Oh NO Mrs Wilson!!!! That's awful!

Well done Kas, and, yes, I'll make sure to ask and be aware.

Solitary Diner (Also Known as The Frugalish Physician) said...

Ugh. Apartment hunting and moving - neither of those are fun activities. I hope you find something worth moving for.

Victoria said...

They're totally on my do not like list SD! Thanks :)

Dominic said...

Hmm.. five days ago I was dancing with a Latvian girl in Riga.

I think I got the better deal :)

Victoria said...

You so did Dominic!