Saturday 6 August 2011

Ok

Symphony by foundimagination
Breathe.

No, not you, me. I mean, you should still breathe. But so should I.

Oh man, I'm already not making sense and this story is SO going to drag out over a few days worth of telling and I don't even know...

Alright, let's back up a minute here.

(Beep, beep, beep!) (it's the backing up noise y'all)

So it's last Sunday, no, wait, I have to back up even more, damnit! Sorry

(*shoulder checks* beeeeeeep beep beep)

So it's a couple of weeks ago and I've been chatting with a few guys here and there on the online dating site.

There's a guy who looks like he could be cute and we've had a couple of good email exchanges and I'm nervous but excited about the idea of meeting him that weekend and? He disappears.

Just randomly up and closed his account with no notice or sign off or anything.

I was pretty disappointed and a little sad, but, more often than not I've been brushed off by guys online so I kind of shrugged it off.

So imagine my raised eyebrow of surprise when he showed up a few days later online again.

He explained that he'd had reasons to change his profile name (the name he'd chosen was getting him flak) and then life had gotten busy and he was sorry he'd disappeared on me. Was I still interested in meeting?

Was I?

I thought about it and while C-Dawg's initial instinct was that something fishy was up, I didn't get that read and thought that, yes, I'd been interested enough when we first started talking to consider meeting him.

He was gentle in his approach (some guys are pushy; "Hey! Call me! Let's meet! Now!) and we exchanged cell numbers and a thought that we might meet over the long weekend. (Oh long weekends, how I love you so.)

He sent me a text on Saturday and you guys? I laughed out loud when I got it.

It was funny. But not like "hey I'm obnoxious and a stand up comedian" funny, just... funny. Like, cute funny. Does that make sense? His text was cute and made me laugh and smile.

We texted back and forth a few times Saturday night, just a few messages continuing our email conversations from the site and he suggested we could maybe head down to Symphony Splash together or something in the next couple of days if that worked for me.

I smiled a lot that night. He was funny and nice and was interested in meeting me. I mean, who doesn't smile with positive attention from an attractive man? (Or woman, if that's your thing.)

But as I went to bed that night I reminded myself that if I did end up meeting him, he probably wouldn't be as cute as his picture suggested he was. I mean, the truth is that people never really look like the pictures they put up on their profiles and to be honest, I'm usually just a little bit disappointed.

I even wrote it in my diary that night (yes, I keep a diary, stop laughing) "if I do end up meeting him, I don't want to be disappointed by how he looks, but I think I might be. Probably. Maybe."

(Yes, I did just let you read my diary. You're welcome.)

I mean, I thought he looked cute, but I've thought that before and then met the guy and gone "oh" and so I didn't want to expect something and be disappointed because that can kind of throw things off, so I was expecting him to be cute enough. Average-ish. (While still secretly hoping he was cute)

So, yeah, I went to bed Saturday night, smiling from a series of cute texts from a guy I thought might be cute and that I thought I might meet.

And then I woke up Sunday morning and went and helped C-Dawg start her move.

10 comments:

Solitary Diner (Also Known as The Frugalish Physician) said...

Ooooh...juicy dating stories! Given that my life is filled with textbooks and sick patients, I'm looking forward to living vicariously through you over the next few posts.

Victoria said...

Oh, I think my stories this week are probably more exciting than textbooks for sure SD! ;)

Just Sayin... said...

hahahaha I laughed out loud while reading this!

(Beep, beep, beep!) (it's the backing up noise y'all)

-You get extra brownie points for the beep beepbeep, and lose one for saying y'all.

-More brownie points for the shoulder check.

-And yet another one for having a diary!

I'm a little suspisious of this new guy just disappearing, but we're not the ones reading his text messages. Do you talk on the phone? Chemistry online is different than a voice or in person connection.

Otherwise, keep moving forward.

Great post.

Victoria said...

Awww man, but I love saying y'all! They said it down in Texas and it was just the cutest thing! ;)
But I think I'm still in the black with brownie points, right? :)

Thanks JS

J from Paradise...Paradise, Texas that is said...

Funny how the yall didn't phase me...but i am from Texas...so i'm guessing yall don't realllllly say that up there?!?!!? lol :) i also loved the beep beep. i won't take away any points for the diary and i give you extra points for the yall just because i thought maybe it was normal there too. Is it weird that i LOVE going to bed smiling from the random cute texts but then i feel i don't know, guilty isn't the right word, but guilty for liking them because i start to look forward to them & know they will end and then i will be disappointed......again

Either way...glad you got some smiles. Smiles are good :)

Victoria said...

Nope, it's not said up here at all. But I visited Texas twice (and loved it both times) and fell in love with the whole Southern hospitality thing. Just sometimes it works as a phrase! :D "Y'all come back now you hear?"

But, yes, I know what you mean about the texts. It's a battle...oooh, this is fun, but uh oh, this will probably end... :/

Just Sayin... said...

Hahah
I think you miss understood. You're ahead in points. You get extra points for everything else. You only lose one for the y'all.

Unfortunately we don't say it here,it doesn't sound natural at all.

Same with the word Chilax.

Seriously? Are you too lazy to pick one word (chilling or relaxing), but had to combine two words that mean the same damn thing into one word?
Ugh.

Victoria said...

So many brownie points!!!! :D

I only say Chillax if I'm trying to annoy someone who's annoying me ;)

Charlotte Harris said...

You are such a funny writer!!! I love this and can't wait to find out what happens next! Though I would be really careful about online dating. Good luck, C-Dawg lol :)

Victoria said...

Aww, thanks Charlotte :) And yes, I'm careful with online dating for sure.

And, don't worry, we got C-Dawg moved ok! ;)