Wednesday 21 September 2011

Lists

When we got told that everyone in our building had to move out, to help quell (no, I don't really know why that word decided it wanted to be used, but I'm just going to let it have its way) the panic, I started making lists.

And because once the idea of having to move started to freak me out, everything started to freak me out and so everything went on my list.

Everything from "write blog post" or "take green shirt to be cleaned" to "pack kitchen" and "call phone company."

Also on that list was, "Go on date with guys W, X, Y, and Z."

Because I wanted to go on a date with them, and I wanted to do it before I was living with my parents (makes it a little more awkward, no?) and the idea of having to go on these dates was freaking me out.

An amplified freakout, perhaps, but a freakout nonetheless.

So while I didn't hear from Y, I did, in fact go on a date with W, X, and Z and I'm glad I was brave enough to do so, when I could very easily have used the excuse of "my life is too busy with the move and packing." But it also amused me quite a bit, every time I looked on my to do list and "Go on a date with X" , "Go on a date with Y" was on there.

So it helped me calm down, and it gave me the focus to make sure I went on a date with them, and then I got the feeling of accomplishment (read: relief) when I was able to cross that off my to-do list.

I've always been a list writer. When I start to worry or stress or feel overwhelmed, I write a list and seeing it laid out like that makes me feel better.

In fact, I'm happy to say that the closer I get to my move out day, the shorter my list has become.

Still kind of freaking out about it all though.

I think that's just par for the course.

So, yeah, I had me some dates.

And then I crossed that off my to-do list.

Phew.

3 comments:

Mizkay said...

You go girl! Going on dates is so hard and I can't seem to get a handle on it. It's just so much easier to seduce guys off the bat and then deal with the aftermath later. lol (I don't condone this behavior at all. It's a vicious cycle.)

Victoria said...

It's totally not my thing Mizkay...

And yeah, that's my usual (not recommended) style too... hook em and then deal with the aftermath ;) Whoops!

e said...

Hey V, it's e...remember me? Anyhow I would like to ask you a question in private, so if that is ok with you, could you please shoot me an email at emilork@gmail.com? It would mean a lot to me.