Monday 24 October 2011

Meanwhile

I woke up rather disoriented yesterday.

Went to bed fairly early (easier to do at my parents' place, where I don't sit with my computer for quite as many hours in the evening) and had a good, solid sleep.

I'd turned my alarm off and figured I'd wake up when I was ready.

Some noise woke me half up, most likely the newspaper, I hear it most mornings, but my brain was pretty sure it was someone driving on the gravel driveway.

The long gravel driveway of our childhood home; a home we've been out of for, what, twenty years now?

I went back to sleep, but this must have stuck in my brain because when I started to hear Mom and Dad downstairs, I wasn't sure where I was sleeping.

Not our old house, but maybe a couple of houses after that?

Not quite my bedroom, the light was wrong, the noises not familiar enough.

Took me a while to come orient to being in the spare bedroom of Mom and Dad's current place.

And then I wasn't sure what day it was. Was it a work day and I needed to get up? Or had I already overslept and was late for work? Or was it maybe a weekend, no, couldn't be, could it?

Hmmmm...yeah, a weekend, whew!

When I figured that out, I rolled over to check the clock and promptly told myself to go back to sleep.

5 comments:

Just Sayin... said...

I hate when that happens!

I once woke up, thought I was late for work, got half way to the bus stop before realizing it was a SUNDAY!
I was pissed.

Bailed on all my plans and laid on the couch the rest of that day.

Single and Picky said...

Yay no blog break! I have that feeling every Wednesday morning - actually I think looking at my schedule for the next two years I might have the feeling. I have a twelve hour day of class on Tuesday, get home at 11pm and up at 6 for the next day of class - I normally only come to when I'm in my 9am class...

Victoria said...

Oh, that would not be good JS!!!

Oh my goodness SnP, that sounds crazy!

Kas said...

I have done that MANY times for as long as I can remember. I am so bad, that I MUST keep a calendar and mark the days so I can stay straight...

*sigh*

Victoria said...

Oh, brains, why do you trick us so!? ;)