Monday 3 October 2011

Temporary

So I live with my parents now.

And I think that's only an important statement to make in that they're not just roommates.

I want to make sure I respect their space and privacy and feelings and everything; they are, after all letting me stay here when they could have gracefully declined.

It's weird being in someone else's space. I mean, I come over here all the time, but living here is different.

My routines are off. The usual spots I put things or hang things or store things aren't here and I can't quite figure out how to make my space mine when it's right in the middle of someone else's space.

And my bed's not here and my body doesn't like that. I haven't had a lot of sleep in the last couple of nights and if that doesn't change I'm going to be a walking zombie soon.

I keep sort of fumbling my way around trying to settle and knowing I won't be quite settled while I'm here and feeling like I don't want to ruffle things, don't want to be in anyone's way or a bother or a burden.

I know it's a really little thing to complain about and I am, in perspective, grateful to have a roof over my head and to have my parents still here and alive and well.

But I'm out of sorts right now so that's what you get to hear.

I'm out of sorts and tired and discombobulated and wishing I were home on my couch with my things around me and my world undisturbed.

I know it's only temporary, but I miss my comfort zone.

9 comments:

Kas said...

me too.

Just Sayin... said...

Just think of all the home cooked meals and laundry that magically does itself? ;-)

I would give anything to be have my parents here and be able to live with them again, for even a weekend. :)

Dateafrenchman said...

Chin up, it won't be forever. In the meantime, enjoy hanging out with your parents. Take the time to really appreciate your time with them. In years to come, you'll look back and be glad you did.

Jonathan said...

When we go to visit my parents they drive me mad after a couple of days (we have to stay for a while - it's hundreds of miles away).

They don't do anything specific... it's like you said - you're used to living in your own space now.

Solitary Diner (Also Known as The Frugalish Physician) said...

After living on my own for two years, I moved back in with my parents for my first year of graduate school. It drove me INSANE. No amount of home-cooked meals or clean laundry was enough to make up for my mom nagging me about everything or my dad watching tv outside my bedroom at 3 am. I loved my parents dearly, but we were not meant to live together as adults. So needless to say, I feel your pain.

Claus said...

I'm with you there JS. I wish I could have a weekend or more with my dad one last time.

I get the whole moving home thing though. It wouldn't be the same as living on your own but I couldn't tell you as I haven't lived at home for over 25 years

Victoria said...

Hang in there Kas


I know JS, and I know once they're gone I'll dream and wish for these days back.... The laundry doesn't do itself, but the meals so far have been great! (Except...now I'm going to put on weight!)


I know Dateafrenchman... I know.


Yeah, I hear you Jonathan.


It's...um...interesting SD. Thanks.


I know what you're saying Claus.

Anonymous said...

Sure it's great to be home (for a while) but what do you do about the no-bra thing?

Victoria said...

I wear big sweaters.