Monday 28 May 2012

To Sleep, Perchance To Dream

Made Me Feel Like I Was In Mexico by foundimagination
One of the cute things my brain does when I'm worried is give me dreams where someone is trying to steal my teddy bear.

Seriously.

When I'm really worried or stressed, I have dreams where someone sneaks into my room during the night to try to steal away my teddy bear and I often sort of half wake up in the middle of these dreams and grab my teddy bear to make sure he's still there.

I guess I was really stressed this weekend, because the dream went one step further.

Not only was someone trying to steal my teddy bear, they snuck in, stole him and managed to exchange him for a copy, a fake.

And I was so upset about a fake teddy being implanted that I woke up in the middle of the morning, heart racing, in a panic, reached over, turned on the light and inspected Teddy to make sure he was the right one.

And even doing that, barely awake, lights on, rubbing his tummy and staring at him, I was still only half sure he was the right one, but I managed to calm myself down enough to go back to sleep.

In some ways it's cute, but in some ways it worried me a little that my brain did something while I was asleep that woke me up. But I guess we have to get rid of our worries, stress and anxiety somehow, and as nightmares go, one that I can wake up and reassure myself about by hugging my teddy bear is probably better than many.

2 comments:

Duff. said...

Have you ever tried to Lucid dream? Then you can decide how your dreams play out, and do new things that aren't possible in real life.

No more nightmares, you can even overcome fears in your dream-state that will help when you re-awaken.

It's amazing :)

Victoria said...

I have once before, and managed to end a nightmare I'd had for decades. Awesome!

But most nights, I'm just happy to be sleeping at all ;)