Thursday 10 May 2012

A Whole Other Species

Down at the Station by foundimagination
Speaking of Steve, last Monday was a reminder lesson in the fact that boys are not girls and girls are not boys.

I walked in to work Monday and my closest friend at worked dragged me aside to ask how my dinner and meeting Steve had gone.

I told her the same as I told you guys... it was fun, it went well, he was interesting.

Butwhatifhedoesn'tlikeme? I blurted out, not five seconds later.

And my co-worker, who knows me so well, smiled and pulled her rolly chair closer to me.

"Victoria? Guys are not like girls."

She paused.

"I mean, here we are, first thing, talking about it; I even wanted to call you last night to ask how it went and what you wore and what you thought, but I didn't, I tried to be patient and wait til this morning."

"You have to understand that Steve and his co-workers are not currently doing the same thing. They are not all piled into his room asking how the dinner went and what he thought of you, and you know they're both busy at their job and they might not get around to talking about it for a few days."

"Oh." I said, eloquently.

"WELLTHENHOWAMISUPPOSEDTOKNOWIFHELIKESME?"

Rinse and repeat this pattern for a couple of minutes until I calmed down somewhat and understood what she was saying.

Doesn't mean I like it, but I at least understood that my co-worker might not hear back from her husband about how Steve felt the dinner went for a while.

It's in moments of understanding how different we can be that I start to wonder if men and women are really the same species at all?

4 comments:

Eric said...

https://twitter.com/#!/UberFacts/status/200695975591948288

True, no?

Victoria said...

True ish? I dunno

Dominic said...

If he likes you, he'll make an effort to see you again. If he doesn't, he won't. General rule when it comes to men & dating: actions speak louder than words.

We ARE a different species, by the way. That's why we don't store our brains in the same body part as you ;)

Victoria said...

Yeah, I know. Just a bummer is all.