Friday 15 June 2012

More Stuff From My Brain

Beach Flower by foundimagination
I feel, perhaps, that this has turned into the "all weather and all sleep all the time" blog, but seriously, I woke up yesterday morning and my first thought when my alarm went off was "YAY! IT'S SATURDAY! I CAN SLEEP IN!"

And then, of course, my second thought was "oh no."

Le sigh.

And I've only worn sandals for one week so far this Spring. (That's your weather update, you're welcome.)

I wish I had dating and romance stories for you, but all I can really report on is that I changed the settings on my online dating site so that you can't message me if you're over a certain age. Because while I may not be twenty, I'm also not fifty, and I'm not currently interested in dating men who are fifty. No offense. Ask me again in a few decades.

Speaking of decades, can I tell you how much it weirds me out to think that if I do buy a place and therefore have a mortgage, I'll have it until I'm really very old? And I mean, I suppose it's no different than what I'm currently doing - paying rent every month until I am no longer on this mortal coil, but somehow it weirds me out to think that I'll never actually own the place I "buy."

Like, with my car loan (and yes I still love my car to pieces and am so very glad I bought it), I knew it would take a while, but eventually I'd pay back the loan and the car would be mine for reals.

But I guess it won't be like that with a house/condo/whatever. Which is weird.

Which somehow brings me back to dating and how this looking into the buying of a place has distracted me quite handily from caring about finding a husband/mate/boyfriend/whatever and it's quite nice to not have that thought at the forefront of my mind, even if that means I'm kind of still freaking out whenever I see a listing or consider going to an open house.

I suppose it will all play out in the end.

I haven't been to the gym in a few weeks, and now that I'm out of the habit it feels like a massive undertaking to go. Which I know is on the crazy side, but hey, when did I ever say I was normal?

I've still been exercising (if you happened to glance in my window the other night, you'd have seen me doing made up aerobic moves while watching the Bachelorette) but I do want to get myself back into the routine.

Oh, and have I mentioned the lovely long days and evenings lately? Because yeah. In love with them. I'll take a slightly chillier Spring/Summer for an extra month or two of days this long.

And, one more thing. One of my neighbours had three handsome men visiting her. She's from Austria (or Switzerland, I should know, whoops) and I don't know where they were from but my oh my, that was a nice treat for a few days.

Dreamy smile.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

"if I do buy a place and therefore have a mortgage, I'll have it until I'm really very old? And I mean, I suppose it's no different than what I'm currently doing - paying rent every month" ...
ah yes, but as time goes by you will be paying less as the principle gets whittled down & when you are older & if you decide to retire it will be paid & that monthly outgoing will be gone ...
you can keep looking til you find what suits & while you do that your down payment fund will be rising ... do not fret ...
Cdn Anne in the UK

Victoria said...

I suppose... it's all just rather difficult to wrap my brain around sometimes ;)

Jurgen said...

I live in Belgium where buying a house at 25 is what everybody does. A mortage usually is 30 years so you are 55 when the house is finally your property. Don't worry about having a mortage or owing money to a bank. It's actually a good thing. When everything is getting more expensive, your mortage is actually getting cheaper every year...

Victoria said...

I suppose....

*waves to you all the way over in Belgium* :)

Victoria said...

Wow... apparently I keep answering with "I suppose" in this post's comments .... sorry!

Jurgen said...

Maybe i made a mistake by commenting without actually knowing what we are taking about here.

In belgium, the price of a house is about 300.000 euro (400.000 USD). Interest rate is about 4%. At the moment i'm having a mortage for 20 year and I am paying 2000 USD a month.

But that's belgium. I have no idea what the price of a house is in Canada or what the interest rate is. If this is way higher than in Belgium, µi want to switch my advice to 'keep renting" unless the rent is also way higher...

Victoria said...

Well, it really depends. The average price in Canada depends on where you're living. On one coast, a big house might be 200,000 but a big house on this coast will be a million, so for me, I won't be able to afford a house.

Rent here ranges from $700 to $2000, depending on what and where.

I'll be trying to keep my mortgage payments within a few hundred dollars of my current rent.

Javier Bonnell said...

Instead of worrying about the responsibilities you have to face when you finally get to own your own house, think of the feeling of freedom and independence you get from owning your property. The only way we can get to enjoy life is if we focus on the positive things. Think of the kind of comfort you’ll enjoy from owning your own home – that more than outweighs the cons of owning one.

Victoria said...

True....but still a massive step and scary to boot.