Wednesday 6 June 2012

Unexpected

Oh Canada by foundimagination
I would never have expected it, but I felt really left out of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee celebrations this weekend (and the last couple of days too.)

I don't have cable, so I couldn't catch it on tv, so I followed what I could online and through photos and blogs. And I felt sad that I wasn't there.

I wanted to be in a suburb of London, having a giant block party, or watching the Queen's flotilla rowing down the Thames.

I'm sure there was some kind of celebration here in town, but I didn't hear about it and I'm not sure I would have gone.

I maybe should have gone over to my parents' and watched some of it with them, but I didn't know I'd want to, and I didn't know I'd feel so strangely bereft.

For those of you wondering why on earth I'd feel this way at all... my parents immigrated from the UK, making me a first generation Canadian. So while I grew up here, my roots are elsewhere; as is my extended family, and the culture my parents grew up in.

I'm proud to be a Canadian, and I'm proud to live in the Commonwealth. And on top of all that, I love it when people get together to celebrate and be joyous and happy and I would have liked to have been a part of this particular celebration.

I just didn't know it.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Me too - being away from home for the Jubilee weekend made me feel so home sick!

Victoria said...

Well, hugs to you then!

Anonymous said...

I am a 1st generation Canadian who moved to England 15 years ago ... I have just finished reading ALL of your blog entries.
The Jubilee has been beyond wonderful ... a million plus dancing in the rain then more & more giddiness as the days went on. The Queen kept SMILING and looked tearful when Charles was praising her.
waving from this island to yours, Anne in Cambridge (the UK one)

Victoria said...

Awww that's awesome Anne! :D

*waves back* :)