Tuesday 10 July 2012

Just Different

Sometimes You Just Gotta Do What You Just Gotta Do by foundimagination
So, I don't have Facebook, a fact that older people seem to accept quite easily, and younger people tend to be confused by.

The reasons I don't have Facebook are many, and I don't particularly see myself changing my mind any time in the future.

But I realized the other day that some people forget that some of us aren't on Facebook, and therefore aren't particularly sure what's going on in each other's lives.

I mean, I assume that were I Facebook friends with some people I went to high school with or used to work with, I'd know they were married/engaged/pregnant/divorced, etc. etc. But because I'm not, I don't.

I know that's partly my fault, I could look the people up and give them a call and catch up on things, but I think it's also partly a cultural shift. A lot of people are documenting their lives via Facebook (or perhaps another, similar social network) and those of us who aren't similarly plugged in are perhaps forgotten.

I'm not complaining per se, just... noticing.

I've had a few conversations where I'll be telling a friend something about someone I know, "Hey, remember my friend Suzie? Yeah, she's pregnant" and I'll get the response, "yeah, I saw that on her Facebook." And it's... different.

Maybe I miss word of mouth. Maybe I miss the sharing conversations. Maybe I even (gasp) miss the spreading of news (read: gossip?) I don't know.

I'm not saying I feel left out, either, I just think some people are forgetting, and some businesses are certainly forgetting, that not all of us are part of the Facebook masses. For better or worse. And I think a lot of people just assume you are and are therefore part of the information stream they're sending out.

I'm not, and that just is what it is.

10 comments:

Dominic said...

Hah! I was on Facebook back when MySpace was still cool!

Oh, those treasured days before Farmville and Zinga... It was like the days of email before there was a word for "spam"

What about Google Plus? That's much less anooying than Facebook.

Anonymous said...

Hi Victoria,

I hear you. I do have Facebook, but it's update about once every...well almost never. I prefer phone, email, text, or heaven forbid...actually talking to someone.

So I guess that makes me oldish (I shudder to even think that, cause I certainlyl don't feel that way at just over 40). Don't get me wrong, I'm still tech savvy but I don't really like Facebook.

It amazes how our girls can spend hours and hours at one time on Facebook, I'd rather live life by doing something. I guess that is the difference?

- Elliott

Victoria said...

Nah, I don't want to be on any Google Plus / Facebook type thing at all :)

Oh, I'm sure I could spend hours on Facebook too if I had it, Elliott, but I already spend too much time online anyway! But, yeah, for me, I'd rather life a live rather than... Facebook it ;)

Anonymous said...

I am on Facebook but only to connect with old chums in Canada (I am living in England). I am not friends with any of my family there, they can e-mail / call me! or with any English friends. So I have about 27 Facebook friends, all people who I try to see when I go home or who would be welcome to stay here if visiting.

Why add another layer to life?

If people want us to know about events in their lives, they will inform us.

Cdn Anne

Victoria said...

True enough Anne :)

(For some reason, I wanted to say "true dat!" but I stopped myself. I think it's past my bedtime!) ;)

Dominic said...

...there's something mildly bizzare about seeing comments written by "Anonymous" signed with names at the bottom

Dateafrenchman said...

I'm not on Facebook either. And it's odd when people say, Didn't you see that on Facebook?

I'd much rather have a face to face conversation. Or at the very least a phone call. Updating once status isn't exactly very personal to me.

Anonymous said...

@Dominic - I usually leave my comments using my work computer and the filters that are in place don't mesh well with the comment feature. I don't get the option of changing from anonymous, so I put my name at the bottom so Victoria knows who left the comment.

- Elliott

Victoria said...

Nah, I always appreciate knowing it's Elliott, or whatever other anonymous person is it Dominic! The anonymous anonymous always make me start to wonder who it is!

The times it bugs me Datea is when a company or something says "get more information on our facebook page" and I'm like.... sigh....

Thanks for doing that Elliott :)

Victoria said...

(And other "anonymous" people who sign off with their names!) :D