Saturday 7 July 2012

K 9

Waiting And Worrying by foundimagination
I realized a couple of things the other week.

I know I've talked about it before, more than once, but I have always wanted to have a dog.

I was talking with one of my best friends who is pregnant with her second child and she was saying how she's always wanted to have children. Not in a creepy obsessive way (you'd have to know her to know what I mean) but just in a "this is something I want as part of my life when the time is right." And she's a great mother. It suits her and she's calm and confident in it and, well, yeah.

And I know some girls grow up and they dream about their wedding. The dress they want, the cake they want, the venue they want, etc. etc. (not that I know anyone like this, but I've seen the tv shows... those ladies get cray-cray!)

Other than having Princess Diana's 25 foot long train and to marry a Prince in a spectacularly royal wedding, I didn't grow up dreaming about my wedding day, or about imagined children. (Although I did want a baby Ewok for a while.) (I figured he'd get along well with my imaginary pony, unicorn, dog and parrot.) (I never did quite understand where the imaginary parrot came from.)

But I did grow up wanting and imagining what it'd be like to have a dog. When I was around them I wanted to deal with them properly (there's a picture of me sternly pointing at a neighbourhood dog who got in our yard) and take care of them (I babysat for a couple who asked me to dog sit their german shepherd for a while. I loved it.) and give and receive affection from them.

I've always enjoyed being around dogs and when I'm at someone's house where there's a dog, I might just pay it more attention than the people, and I will certainly be loved by the dog, as I'm happy to pet and scratch and massage.

The other thing I realized, was that I actually know quite a lot about dogs.

I guess I just kind of figured everyone knew about dogs and breeds, but I was talking with a friend about what kind of dog I might get when I'm able to and as I was listing off names and characteristics, I realized that not everyone has the same dog based knowledge I do.

I can usually guess at a dog's breed, or at least the category it's in. And I know some of the pitfalls of various breeds and what people should watch out for when thinking of getting particular types of dogs.

I like to think I'm good with dogs, but I don't know a lot of the basics, especially if I were to get a puppy, so I've been doing some research and learning more.

I've been watching old episodes of The Dog Whisperer (that man is amazing, I'd love to meet him some day and see him in action, I can only imagine what his energy is like in person) and going online to look up resources.

I don't know how long it's going to be before I can get a dog, and I do wish I was able to have one in this apartment, but I can't, and so I'm going to take the time from now until I do get one to learn what else I can so I can be a smart, informed, prepared owner.

But, yeah. I've always known I wanted a dog, I grew up with visions of dog ownership in my head, and I'm happy to start seeing myself as someone who knows maybe a little bit more than the average Joe about dogs.

It's funny when you realize something positive about yourself you never really noticed before.

7 comments:

Happydog said...

Dogs have always been an important part of my life. I grew up with them and always knew I would have one--or more. And also like you dogs were always a given and children, well not so much. Hope you get your dog soon...what types are you looking at getting?

Victoria said...

Well HD, I'll have to move into a new place first, not allowed dogs here. So when I do move, I'll have to see what size/weight of dog the place allows. Had I my own way, I'd probably get a medium or big sized dog, but will more likely end up with a small (maybe even a toy?) sized dog, but probably a small. I've done a few "matching" quizzes online (for fun!) and keep getting matched with terriers, which I probably wouldn't have chosen on my own.

So the types I'm looking at will end up depending on where I end up living.

And then I'll have to decide... rescue? Breeder? Puppy? Older?

So many choices ;)

michelle said...

I never had a dog growing up and when I got one as an adult I never could have imagined the impact she would have on my heart and my life. Owning a dog has been one of the best things I have ever done in my life. When the time is right I am sure you will make the best dog mom ever. Till then, how about volunteering at your local shelter - I do that too and it is amazing - and it could give you an "in" for when you are ready.

Victoria said...

That's awesome Michelle :)

And, I've thought about volunteering at the shelter, but I'm not honestly sure I can handle it. I worry that it might just break my heart.

Anonymous said...

A rescue dog would be good ... dunno that I would want a very small dog though ... shin high would suit.

Dogs are good for us; with a dog you always know that YOU are right whereas with a cat you do not stand a chance.

Cdn Anne in England

Anonymous said...

Hi Victoria,

I hope you find the perfect dog for you...big or small.

This brought a tear to my eye. Our little Ralphie the Beagle passed away just over a month ago. He was a great little dog and we miss him. For now we're going to stick with the two cats we have because cats are more independent if we have to be away for a few days.

Hope you're having a good weekend.

- Elliott

Victoria said...

That's true Anne :) And, the size I'll end up with will depend on where I end up living and the rules it has! :D

Aww, long distance internet hugs Elliott. Sorry about Ralphie.