Thursday 5 July 2012

Musical Prodigy

Where Does All The Fun Go? by foundimagination
I like sleeping in.

I used to think everyone liked to sleep in, and am still amazed by early risers, but, yeah, the truth is, I like to sleep in.

But the funny thing (maybe) about it, is that I enjoy sleeping in much more if I'm "ignoring" an alarm in some way.

Even on work days, I have a morning routine that involves setting my alarm extra extra early, and then re-setting it to go off an hour later, just so I can get that "oh good I get to sleep longer" feeling every morning.

(And even then, I still allow myself a certain number of hits on the snooze button.) (I really do like sleeping in.)

So this weekend, knowing I had no work to get to, I was in a haven of sleeping in.

I have my alarm tuned to a radio station and on long weekends they play "all requests" and I noticed something about myself.

I can, even while asleep, or being woken up from being asleep, pick out what song is playing, from a second's worth of melody.

On work mornings, I'm all business. I hear the music, roll over, hit snooze. Rarely do I like the song enough to listen to it because I know I have to get up soon for work and I just want those extra nine minutes.

But on weekends, I'll hear the music, listen for a bit, sometimes through a chorus or half a song before rolling over and hitting snooze.

I did this a few times this weekend because they played a lot of Canadian songs (it *was* the Canada Day long weekend after all) and I liked a lot of them.

But there was one moment that made me laugh. (Well, not laugh so much as think "hah, that was funny,zzzz.") I had already hit snooze a few (gazillion?) times and hadn't moved from the "hit snooze" spot and as soon as I heard a millisecond's worth of noise, I just hit the darn button again. Didn't wait for even a note, just smack.

But, yeah. I have kind of a cool skill.

I can, while asleep, figure out what song's playing in the few seconds it takes me to roll over, reach up and hit snooze.

I may, in fact, be some kind of un-discovered genius you know.

I should probably keep sleeping in just to make sure I don't lose this skill, eh?

3 comments:

Dominic said...

I'm not sure if it was epic or tragic, but my housemate was watching (with headphones, so no help from the music) a video on her PC a while ago. From a glimpse of a non-fullscreen YouTube-quality video on the other side of the room, I was immediately able to ask "Why are you watching the "Total eclipse of the heart" video?!"

(It turned out to be the Literal Version, was the answer :)

Anonymous said...

This made me smile. For years the kids and I have played name that tune in the car. My FM presets are all set to rock stations, both classic and current rock. The kids got really good at naming the songs in the first few notes.

The game really wore off on our middle one, she sings in a band that started off doing covers - Beatles, Zepplin, Journey, Kansas, Audioslave, the Who to name a few. Now they're writing their own songs and are in the process of recording their first CD.

- Elliott

Victoria said...

That's hilarious Dominic! Good spotting! ;)


That's so cool Elliott!