Saturday 28 July 2012

Passage

And Your Eyes Are Closed Like You Truly Believe You're Safe And Sound With Me by foundimagination
When did we stop being the child we once were?

When did we stop running full tilt into the water? When did it start to matter that it was too cold, too choppy, too far from home?

I'm not saying I want to live life with the wild abandon of the innocent and consequence free (although that would be nice) I'm just saying what happened to all those things I used to love to do?

Used to be, when I was a kid, you could barely keep me out of the water.

Be it lake, ocean, pool, if it was there? I was in it. I'd spend entire summers half-immersed in the ocean, half playing on the beach.

When did that change?

I can't remember the last time I swam in the ocean, or in a lake. And these days when I do go down to the beach and stick my foot in, all I can think is "man that's cold."

What else about myself have I lost? What other freedoms have I given up, unwittingly, unknowingly?

When does that fear start to take over? The fear of being judged, or hurt, even physically. The fear of danger, being wrong, getting laughed at, left behind, forgotten.

Not that I want to be silly or ridiculous, or some kind of over-grown child-woman, I just want to be care-free again. To just want to go run and jump into that water, or whatever that water stands for, metaphorically, just because it's fun and I love it and I want to and I can.

But, how?

6 comments:

FigJam said...

Over-thinking and over-analyzing even the simplest of actions is one of the downsides to being a grown up.

Your post did make me think of the Great Big Sea song called Consequence Free. I always liked that video.

Victoria said...

Yeah, this grown up stuff is poopy sometimes!

But Great Big Sea is fun ;)

FigJam said...

You said poopy. :)


Yup...behaving like a kid is fun, even if only on a blog.

Michelle said...

I make a short list (sometimes just in my head) of 2-3 things I want to do each season, fun things and I make sure I do them. This fall it is getting dressed up and going to the ballet in New York. Today it was staying in my jammies all day and watching the olympics (despite the pile of work I have to take care of).

I say find a beach, grab a friend, call in sick and go swimming at least once before the summer is over and eat some ice cream on the way home! LOL!

G's said...

You are so lucky to live on the Island where there are many lakes, rivers and the ocean nearby! Next sunny weekend get in your car, drive to a lake and jump in!! Just do it!

Victoria said...

Kinda is FigJam! ;)

That's a great idea Michelle! (I love the pj day Olympic idea too!)

I should, G! :D