Saturday 14 July 2012

Some Nostalgia For Your Weekend

Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom by foundimagination
What's something you miss from the past?

I miss going into the corner store with my hard-earned allowance and looking at all the candy I could buy! (I still do enjoy buying candy, but it's somehow not the same feeling, maybe because I know there are other things I could/should be spending my money on.)

I miss collecting stickers and having a sticker album and showing my friends the cool puffy sticker I got or the googly-eyed one or the scratch and sniff one that smelled just like grape! Here! Try it!

I think I miss Elementary school in general. I'm not sure I can put my finger on why, but it always just seemed fun and light and bright and cheerful and you could learn cool things and have fun and run around and, yeah, it was just generally awesome.

I miss high school crushes and that feeling when you finally got close enough to hold hands.

I miss spending all day at the beach in the summer, playing in the water and sand. (How did we not get sunburnt? How did we not think the water was freezing?)

I miss the house we grew up in.

I miss a particular flavour of candy we found once in an old fashioned candy store in downtown Vancouver, across from the ballet company I was in. They looked like a big fat bumble bee - yellow with black stripes and they were kind of a sour flavour, but when you got to the inside, or bit through, there was a red, sweet syrup inside. They were awesome.

And not to get too sad, which would be easy to do here, but I miss the oatmeal cookies they made down at the beach when my Dad and I would go for a walk on a Saturday morning to let my Mom sleep in after her late night as a night-shift nurse.

And last but not least, I miss getting on my BMX bike with my best friend from across the street and taking off to go play somewhere or explore somewhere or just to feel the wind in our hair. Awesome. Pure awesome.

8 comments:

michelle said...

I miss summers on Cape Cod and that water logged feeling you get from swimming and sunshine all day. I miss Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoons and drawing little hearts in a journal with a lock and key. Great post!

Nithya said...

I think I miss playing police and thief with my friends in the elementary school during lunch breaks.

I miss having Cadbury's Gems too. Having it now doesn't feel the same way. There was something different about childhood.

Victoria said...

I've always wanted to go to Cape Cod Michelle! And I loved my lock and key diary!!!

Nithya, I would love to go back to that feeling of playing at lunch break time. Such fun!

Victoria said...

PS I looked up Cadbury's Gems because I'd never heard of them! They look similar to Smarties, which we have here, but not everyone does :)

Dominic said...

I miss the nostalgia - it used to be so much better when I was younger

Victoria said...

(wait, that was a cheesy joke, right?)

Anonymous said...

I miss the doubles tennis matches, the baseball, the road hockey, the golf games, and all the other great times my brother and our two best friends (they were brothers too, from across the street) had growing up. We had tennis court in the park behind our house and the four of us would play by the hour, tennis when the nets were up and road hockey when they were down. And there were ball diamonds in the park and we would play there too.

I think I'll go send them emails to say hi and catch up.

Thanks for reminding me to take time for old friends.

- Elliott

Victoria said...

I totally miss playing in the neighbourhood too.