Thursday 12 July 2012

A Worry Currently Stuck In My Brain

Sorry, My Mommy Says I Can't Come Live With You by foundimagination
I'm nervous about getting a puppy.

Not that I'm 100% sure I'll get a puppy when I do get a dog, but I might, I mean, I think I kind of want to. It'd be nice to raise a dog from puppyhood and all...

But I'm nervous because I can't stay home with the puppy all day.

I mean, sure, I'll save up some holiday time and be there for the first few weeks, but then what happens? I go back to work, and my poor little puppy is sat at home all by herself for eight, nine hours a day? That's hardly fair.

I suppose I could hire a dog walker, then the puppy would at least get some exercise and company (and, er...pooping time) during the day, but then that feels unfair to me somehow. Like someone else is doing the training/walking/what-evering.

I know I should just sit down with my friends who've had puppies and ask them what they did, but I also know from the small conversations I've had that different people have done different things.

One friend told me that she just lay down "wee wee pads" and everything worked out. Another girl brought her puppy to work and kept it in the car so she could go out at lunch and walk it. I'm sure some people get permission to bring a dog to work, but I don't think that's something that would go down at my spy cave. Plus, it's not like I can pause from stealing the Hope Diamond to correct my puppy or clean up a "mistake."

Really, I think this whole train of thought is yet another example of the train of thought I tend towards.

An unknown change? = Try to figure out how to make it go smoothly. = Have never done it before so don't know all the possible variables. = Panicky feeling.

But whereas I can maybe learn to just go with the flow in some situations, I feel like this one would really benefit from some forethought and planning.

Not that I'm going to be able to get said puppy any time soon, but still.

So, yeah. I'm nervous about getting a dog in general, but a puppy even more so. Because I don't know what to do about the fact that I'm out of the house for many many hours five days a week and while I'm sure I could find a doggy day care or walker or something, that, to me, feels like someone else would be "training" my dog at a time when I want to be the one doing that. Or, as Cesar Millan might say, I want my dog to see *me* as its pack leader, not the dog walker/day care owner.

Le sigh.

5 comments:

G's said...

Why not get an adult dog?

The dog will love you as much as a puppy would and if you are treating him and training him with the right balance of love/authority/respect it will love you and be as good as any dog you will have brought up yourself.

So many people give their dog away when sickness, new job or a new baby comes in play.

You could give a good, loving dog a new life. He or she will forever be greatful for that :)

Happydog said...

I've had puppies and I've had adopted adult dogs from the SPCA and pound. Puppies are well--puppies! Not unlike babies really in that they do need a committed amount of your time at first. However unlike real babies they do learn the wole appropriate pooping and peeing much faster. Depending on the breed you should be able to house train a puppy in a couple weeks if you stay focused. Also in my experience and I'm sure other dog owners may disagree but a female puppy seemed much easier to train then a male dog.
We have a very elderly blind lab cross we resuced from the pound 12 years ago as an adult dog and if and when I'm ready for another dog I'll definately get an adult dog again. Especially one about one or two years old where they seem to have grown out of some behaviors. I would love to suggest that when your ready to give the SPCA dogs a chance but as a new dog owner I'd stay away from abused rescues or challenging breeds. While a lot of these dogs are wonderful they require A LOT of one on one time and usually a striking alpha. Oops I seemed to have turned this into a long advice comment...but I do love dogs so much and I'm excited for you to have your own special snuggle puppy!

Victoria said...

That's absolutely a consideration G's! I'm not sure I'll get a puppy, just considering it and for me, considering also means worrying! ;)

Good advice HD, feel free to leave "long advice comments" any time! Especially doggie ones! I'm sure I'll see what's right at the time, but yes, will be staying away from a very needy dog for my first time around, for sure.

michelle said...

From one single gal to another - if you get a puppy or a dog - get a dog walker - they will be YOUR best friend. Your dog will know you are his/her person and a dog walker that you can call when you are stuck at work, sick, or just want to take a day trip will seriously save your sanity.

That said, feed them, pee them, love them, and dogs will give you 1,000,000 times all of that back in love and adoration.

Victoria said...

I'm sure that's what I'll end up doing Michelle. :)