Thursday 6 September 2012

Anon

Crusader by foundimagination
Sometimes I want to give up my anonymity on this blog. Sometimes I think about just saying, hey... my name is Sadie and I'm a dental hygenist and I live at 2345 Everywhere Street and just be done with it.

But then I think about it for half a second and realize that, no, I don't. I don't want everyone I know reading my innermost thoughts. And, yes, I have a few friends who read here (at least, they have at some point, I generally don't ask them if they still are, that way I can pretend they don't) but that's by my choice, I pointed them in this direction.

There are a lot of things that are easier for me to write about when I'm writing to an audience of people I don't know personally, or don't interact with on a daily basis.

My brother found my blog not too long ago, and it's meant that I find myself re-considering certain things I'd like to write about. And the experience of knowing a family member might be reading has reminded me why I don't want to have a non-anonymous blog . . . it censors me.

I'm struggling a little bit right now with things I want to talk about, but things I don't, necessarily want, say, my brother, or random co-workers or the guy who signs me in at the gym to hear/read/see. And no, it's not necessarily anything major, but, you know, like... maybe girl stuff or something?

So let me say this... and if we could all just play along, I'd appreciate it, k?

For those of you who think you know who I am, like, for reals? I'm afraid you're mistaken. Even that guy who thinks he's my brother... sorry, your sister asked me to pretend I'm her for a while, but I'm not really. I mean, your sister's name's not Sadie, right? So there. Proof.

My name is, in fact Victoria, and I'm a spy, and that's what we're sticking with and I don't know who you think I am but I'm not. For sure. Really.

Ok?

Cool.

Because I have a few things I'd like to talk about, but my mind is stuck, and I need my cloak of anonymity wrapped back around my shoulders so I can un-stick it.

Losing my anonymity restricts my writing, and it's an uncomfortable feeling.

4 comments:

Annie said...

I would never write any of what I've got on my blog if it wasn't done anonymously. It'd all be just like 'Today, I bought a coffee and put my pyjamas on as soon as I got home' if I thought people I knew were reading. It's much easier to be write freely this way.

Victoria said...

Ha! That made me giggle Annie! Totally.

Stephanie Hunter said...

I almost *almost* started a blog anonymously. Sometimes, I still consider doing it, but then I think I'd be too ashamed about what might come out of my fingers if I were not anonymous, but it's probably best for me to not have one!! lol

Victoria said...

Well, when I started mine, I told a friend of mine I was starting it. Figured that would keep me somewhat in control! :)