Saturday 1 September 2012

I'm Not Sure This Post Makes Much Sense

Shadow Leaves by foundimagination
Life is... odd.

You know that old saying "what a difference a day makes"?

Well, I keep thinking "what a difference a year makes."

One of my best friends is moving in with her boyfriend this month, and another good friend of mine is signing off on separation papers in a marriage to a woman he's known and loved for seventeen years.

A year ago, I *know* my guy friend would never ever have thought a divorce would happen to him, and I'm not sure my female friend would have guessed she'd be becoming roommates with her boyfriend. (Although, they were already pretty starry-eyed about each other last summer too!)

I guess with relationships you don't necessarily know where you'll be in a year and I would wish and hope that for all of my friends and loved ones things only ever get better.

This is my second friend I've seen through a divorce and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. It's hard to know what to say or how best to support, but I also know, from watching one friend's relationship blossom, that a year from now things will be different for my friend whose marriage is currently ending.

I don't know how, exactly, but I can hope he's much happier a year from now.

And I hope my gal pal and her guy are happily settled a year from now.

Good surprises only. Happy changes welcome.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for your post. It can be intense to see how much change can occur in one moment. Everything is constantly changing, alive, and moving. How would life be if it were static? I spend a lot of time trying to escape right now. But the answer is in every second...right here.

Victoria said...

Absolutely

Anonymous said...

That is one of the good things about life ... one never knows what is going to happen next! There are no hard and fast rules EXCEPT for this week-end ... Labour Day week-end there in my homeland so sandals, white trousers, frocks and skirts are to be put away until next May 24!

Canadian Anne in England


Victoria said...

Absolutely Anne! :) *hugs*