Thursday 27 December 2012

Montague, Capulet

Dot Com by foundimagination
Names are funny things.  Or, at least, our use of them is a funny thing.

I'm sure I've talked about it before, but I find I don't use people's names as often as I sort of feel I should.  I tend to use a nickname, or just skip over it completely, and I'm never sure why. 

Is it because it feels too formal to use someone's name all the time?  Is this a societal thing?  Is it just me?

Why am I rambling on about names, you may ask?  Well, this guy that I'm seeing (without seeing, if you know what I mean) and I have been sending emails, and you tend to use the person's name in an email. 

"Hey, Victoria, how are you?"  and the like.

And it's been nice, having my name used, even if just in written format. 

Also, I'm not sure what to call him here.  His name, like my own, really, is uncommon enough that I think people might figure out who he was, and by default who I am, and that would blow my spy cover completely out of the water.

I came up with an alternate name, Jay, he preferred Robert (yes, I told him about the blog, I know, right?) and I think that doesn't suit him, but he said Jay's too simple or formal or something.  He came up with Elijah, and I said I'd take it into consideration, but I think we all know it's going to end up being whatever my brain decides on, and I think my brain may already have decided on Jay.

Unless, of course, you have something else in mind?

2 comments:

Duff said...

Well now I'm just imagining Jay Gatsby :P

Think of all the parties you guys can throw!

Victoria said...

Oh, such parties Duff!!!

*throws head back and laughs with wild abandon* ;)