Monday 14 January 2013

Yes, Operator?

Yes, over the phone.

Jay had asked if I wanted to video chat, but I didn't.  Didn't feel quite ready for the unflatteringness that is video chat.

(Seriously, I have met no friend of mine yet who does not agree, SO unflattering!)

But I said that I thought I would be ok with talking on the phone.

(Even though, if I haven't mentioned it before, I hate talking to people I don't know well on the phone.  I think it comes from talking to relatives I'd never met over Christmas as a kid.  Bad line connection, nothing to say, feeling shy and awkward.  I still don't like the first few phone calls with new friends or acquaintances.)

So one morning, I think it was a weekend morning, after a particularly difficult and intense conversation the night before, he asked if he could phone, and I said yes.

And my phone rang, I picked it up, and he didn't sound how I expected.

Well, of COURSE he didn't, I tell myself now, but at the time it threw my brain right off.  Uh... this... is a stranger... I don't... know how to talk.  What... am I supposed to say... um.. hi.. So... Uh.

Shit  (But I didn't say that one out loud)

I felt really awkward and uncomfortable for the first few minutes and of course I thought, well, this was nice while it lasted, but now it's done, and I'm out, this is just... so awkward.

But then he found an old email I'd sent him, asking random questions, and he talked me through the details of his answers.  "No, I've never actually sleepwalked, I don't think, but I do have a friend who, etc., etc." and before I knew it I was laughing away and we were just talking.

And I think we probably talked for two hours, or close to it, before he pointed out that my morning is his very late at night and he should probably get some sleep.

And we've talked a few more times since, and it's actually to the point where I can honestly say I sometimes miss his voice. 

It's funny, though, because when I mention to people that we've talked on the phone, they all say the same thing.  "Phone sex?!!"

Which, no!  But it makes me laugh every time, because everyone seems to want to ask, and I don't know why they assume that that'd be the only reason we'd talk on the phone.

We just talk on the phone to talk.

Like when he called me on New Years, just to wish me a good New Year.

And, yes.  I'm smiling as I type that.

No comments: