Monday 25 March 2013

Crazy

So as Jay was making his way back to this side of the earth, we managed to connect while he was in layovers in various airports.

I don't know why, but it struck me as so completely weird, that I could be sitting here, on my computer in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada and be talking, via Facetime and chat to someone on their computer, thousands and thousands of miles away, sitting in an airport waiting area, surrounded by people speaking another language and just... so crazy.

Maybe this next generation won't be filled with the same feelings of awe, but I grew up in a household that didn't have a computer until we were teenagers.  Didn't have more than one phone, had to share just the one in the kitchen.

I grew up talking to grandparents and relatives in Scotland over a phone line that would have pauses in the conversation that would make it awkward, or that the lines would all be full, whatever that meant, and you'd have to call back when they were less busy.

And here I am, talking computer to computer, over... wireless...signals... halfway around the world, just like that.

So weird.  So crazy.  So amazing.

It makes my brain hurt that this is normal.

No comments: