Wednesday 14 August 2013

And I Will Call Him George


One of the things I've been sort of half mulling over as Burning Man approaches is what to do about this here blog place while I'm gone. 

It's been a while since I've been away on a holiday, and this is the first time away in a while where I will not even be taking my computer with me.

I'm not expecting to have cell service while there.  Not sure I'll even try to see if I do until we're on the road home again.  I got a one month's "US package" that will allow me to send a few texts, check my email and make a call if I have to.  It was only $40, which is better than some of the charges I've heard of people accidentally wracking up.

But, anyway.  I've thought about having posts just set to publish while I'm away, and maybe I'll do that.  But I've also thought that I may not have the time or energy to post immediately after I get back so maybe I should have some waiting for when I get back.  But then I don't know if I have enough thoughts to just come up with random stuff for a few weeks' worth of posts.

I'll be gone nearly two weeks, and then I imagine getting back to work will brutally jarring and busy.  So I could either just go dead for a few weeks or something in between.

I'm thinking I'll see what kind of writing I can do in the next week or two before I leave and that my priority is to have posts waiting for when I get back so that I can allow myself to veg, or nap, or whatever I may need to do to feel normal again once I'm home and back in the swing of things.

I shall see.  It's kind of like having a pet.  I'm trying to figure out how to care for it while I'm gone.

7 comments:

Kristen said...

What if you have several readers submit a "guest post" and then set those to automatically post daily while you are gone? Pick a topic and then let the readers give their story/opinion. Of course you have to review them before you set to post, which may be time consuming, but something different?

Very jealous you are going to Burning Man btw! I'm a long time reader (very in-frequent commenter) and can't wait to hear your thoughts when you get back.

Stephanie Hunter said...

I think I'm going to go through withdrawal while you are away ;)

Victoria said...

I thought about that Kristen, and I hope I have lots to talk about once I'm back :)

Well, I'll try to make sure it's not too bad Stephanie! ;)

mkd said...

I vote for a digital detox - I did it when I went to Italy for 2 weeks a a few years ago and it felt great. Plus it was fun to return.

Victoria said...

Well, I won't have my computer with me so, it'll be a fair detox :)

Anonymous said...

Set up a photo - nothing else - for each day you're gone, and for a fews days after you return.

Your space won't be empty and two weeks of content will be easy to source.

Victoria said...

Totally could do that, thanks for the idea! :)