Saturday 2 November 2013

A Hobby

There.  I finished off a week of "A" titles.  Because once I noticed, I couldn't not keep going.  Anyway.

When I was last in the art store, I chatted with the girl at the counter about how easy it was to just keep picking up cool things to buy.  (Like the mechanical pencil with purple coloured lead.  What?  Or the mechanical eraser.  Which I did not buy.  Unlike the purple leaded mechanical pencil.  That I bought.  Anyhoo.)

She said that yes, Art wasn't an inexpensive hobby.

I smiled and left with my purchases, but my mind was still twirling.

What hobby IS inexpensive?

Running?  Should be free, right?

Well, except you probably want decent runners, and once it gets colder, some warm gear.  And if you're going to run at night, some reflective gear.  Or shorts when it's warmer, etc.

And I haven't yet been able to come up with a hobby that's inexpensive if you want to have good gear.

I mean, sure, you could draw with a 25 cent pencil on super cheap paper, but that'll usually end up with paper that tears when you try to erase it and a pencil that doesn't do what you'd like it to do.

And you could run in twenty dollar runners, but that might hurt.  And I know lots of people run barefoot, but you're going to want clothing that lets you run, not your jean short shorts and hoodie.

I wonder what hobbies, if any, let you do them without much financial outlay.

Games, perhaps.  Like you only have to buy a deck of cards once to play Bridge, right?  One cribbage board and you're set for life.

So maybe games are the cheapest hobby... unless they don't count as a "hobby" at all and then I'm back to square one.

2 comments:

Matt79 said...

How about blogging? I mean, I guess you need a computer or something, and internet access, but if you were always going to own a computer and have internet access anyway then it's kind of free on top of that.

Victoria said...

Yeah, fair enough. Plus, I guess you could blog from the library for free! ;)