Thursday 13 February 2014

Anyone?

Way Home by foundimagination
On my drive to work yesterday I just happened to notice a rather out of place lump on someone's lawn.

It's not the time of year for piles of leaves so I glanced over at it as I drove by and saw that it was a dead deer.

(I mean, I suppose it could have been a Norweigan Blue deer, and just resting, but I'm thinking not...)

I felt a little sad for the deer and wondered how it had died, but then my brain moved on to a different question.

That being... what do you do when you wake up and find a dead deer on your lawn?

I mean, it's not as if you can just put it in the garbage.  It wouldn't fit, for one thing.  But, what DO you do?  Do you call someone?

Who? The city?

Pest control?

I really, legitimately have no idea what you are supposed to do if you ever wake up and find that a deer has expired on your lawn.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have thought someone would have taken it away ... road kill ... venison roasts etc. They may have rescued it themselves & it is waiting to be sliced up for the freezer.
Over here (U.K.) it happens especially when in Scotland where they leap out across the road. Same with pheasants, the most gormless of animals.

Cdn Anne in England

Anonymous said...

Oh I woke up one day to find that a cat had expired on my lawn. I knew that it didn't belong to any of the neighbours, so I phoned the local council and they did the needful while I was at work. They did ask me lots of questions about the cat though (colour, collar etc). I think they were trying to match it with reports of missing pets.

But a deer! No idea what would happen, but it should be removed properly and swiftly IMHO

Elliott said...

In our neck of the woods in Ontario, the County road crew will remove dead animals from properties.

Or, as a previous commenter said, if there is a hunter nearby and the animal is recently deceased, they will butcher it for the meat. My wife hit a deer a few years ago and our neighbour happily came and got it and butchered it.

Jason Langlois said...

In general, you contact the city. Unless its on a beach, in which case you end up in a weird zone of it possibly being a federal or provincial problem.

Victoria said...

Anne, I never thought of someone being excited for possible dinner! ;)

You know what Anon? I didn't even think to look for it on the way home, but I'm assuming it was dealt with pretty promptly! :)

Elliot, I'd be worried that it was too dead to eat... if that makes sense. Like it had been dead too long? Maybe hunters know these things.

City. Good to know. I wonder how many of those awkward phone calls they get, eh? "Er, hi. Good morning. There's a dead thing on my lawn and I didn't do it!"