Monday 17 February 2014

The Eight O' Six Ghost Car

I would be lying if I said it happened every single morning, but this story would be a lot cooler if it did.

I drive the same route to work every morning.

Doesn't matter to me if it's the most efficient route, it's the route I take and I like it.

At some point in the last year (not 2014, that's too young to be called a year, I mean the last... many months) I noticed a ghost car.

Not a metaphysical anomaly car, but a police car that did not have markings.  A "ghost car".

I'm really good at spotting ghost cars (or ghost vehicles of any type) partially because I'm an observant driver.  Partially because I get car sick so from a young age I learned to keep my eyes on what was going on outside the vehicle.  And partly because I find the police paraphernalia to be obvious on the cars.  The antennae, the side mirror spotlight, the grille that usually has the blue and red lights "hidden" in it... the signs of a not-so-regular car.

So I noticed this white (ironically... get it?  "ghost"?  White?  Heh.) ghost car one morning and then started noticing it more regularly.

And at some point I realized that I was noticing it at the same point of my drive, in this particular stretch, and then I noticed that I was noticing the ghost car at 8:06.

So now I have this morning thing where I check the clock and when I'm getting close to 8:06, I'm usually in the vicinity of that stretch of the drive (I usually leave within a 5-10 minute window each morning) and sure enough, most mornings at 8:06?  I pass my ghost car.

It's probably not as cool as it seems.  I'm sure they're on their rounds and just leaving dispatch or depot or wherever and we just happen to cross paths, but yeah.  It's my morning ritual.

I left extra early last Friday because it was snowing and I wanted to make sure I wasn't rushed and know what?

I still ran into my 8:06 ghost car.  Just a little earlier and just a little further down the road.

I've taken to secretly waving at them like I'm part of their entourage.

Or team.  Or whatever you call it.

So, yeah.

That's my story.  And I'm sticking to it.

7 comments:

Chris said...

maybe they are on a surveillance mission.... have you been misbehaving again? :P

Victoria said...

Oh man, I never thought of that!

And, I certainly can't answer that now! ;)

Anonymous said...

Leave us not forget you are a spy ... perhaps this ghost car is spying on YOU, keeping details of your regular daily movements ...

Anne - fellow Canadian in England willing to feed paranoia (no calories!)

Chris said...

next time you must deploy your spy cloaking device so they don't see you. :P

Victoria said...

Paranoia duly fed Anne!!!!! ;)

That's going to have to be my plan for tomorrow Chris. ... Wait... how do you know about that device?

Chris said...

If I told you that I had one of those devices in my spy kit then I would have to have you removed... So I won't tell you that I have one... :P

Have a super spy type of day!

Victoria said...

*secret spy nod*

;)