Tuesday 11 March 2014

Purple

Caught by foundimagination
I drove C-Dawg and co to the airport this weekend.  A bit of a longer drive than I do most days to and from work.  And perhaps it was the longer drive but I found myself thinking just how odd it is to drive.

I mean, you're sitting there, quite comfortably if you're lucky, and you're not seemingly doing much (I remember as I child I thought driving was just about jiggling the steering wheel back and forth a little) and yet you can't just zone out.

You're actually doing a lot.

You're maneuvering this massive machine made up of who even knows what at fast speeds with but not too close to other people doing the same thing.

It's really weird.

Driving is weird.

Push this thing and you go faster.  Push that one and you stop.  Flick that thing down and a light goes blink.  Move the wheel a certain way and you move the entire contraption.

It's really quite an odd thing.

And we just do it all the time, hardly thinking about it.

Just sitting there.

Taking in and processing massive amounts of information.

It's so strange when you start to think about it.

Kind of like when you say a word too many times and it no longer makes sense.

7 comments:

AFST said...

And don't forget about bicycles.

I mean, why only 2 wheels? And why is the seat so small? And what's up with that dinky little horn? Meep-meep-meep!

Bicycles are weird, too!

-A Fan for Some Time

Chris said...

perfectly good reasons why some people shouldn't drive or ride a bike! it's just too complicated for them.

Victoria said...

A teeny little seat AF!! And skinny wheels! And mine doesn't even have a horn, just a bell! Ding! ;)

But Chris, have you even thought about walking? ALSO REALLY WEIRD! :D

Chris said...

walking? that's the thing I used to do before I got a car????

Victoria said...

Yes. And you don't think about it but it just happens? SO WEIRD! Like, all the muscles and ligaments and things that just... go!

AFST said...

Walking's the weirdest of them all! Half the time, I don't know if I should swing my arms or keep them by my side.

And tripping in front of a crowd of people....

Victoria said...

Gah! ;)