Thursday 6 March 2014

Sorry If I Explode Your Brain Too

The Lion by foundimagination
I (fairly?) regularly say something to myself in one of my many mind-conversations that will then mess with my brain.

Like, the time I was enjoying calling quinoa "kwin oh uh" and then accidentally asked for kwinohuh in the store and got stared at.

Sigh.

Well this time I have no idea why, but I started wondering if the saying was to "tow the line" as I've always sort of thought it was, or if somehow maybe it was to "toe the line" and then how they had potentially different meanings.

But then my brain just went on and on about the difference and/or similarities between towing and toeing the line and then it turned mushy.

So I asked people at lunch yesterday.  Figured they'd all agree that the saying is to "tow" the line, but one gal said she'd always known it as "toe" the line and so cell phones were pulled out and the interweb was checked and I guess my brain isn't entirely weird.

But then that caused a lot of confusion at the table and I felt bad so I left and ate some unhealthy food.

The end.

5 comments:

Meg said...

Is it tow or toe?!

Victoria said...

Interwebs says it can be both.

Argh! ;)

Dominic said...

Wikipedia's pretty insistent it's "toe" which makes more sense to me - lines aren't noted for their tow-ability, they tend to stay put :)

A Fan for Some Time said...

Hello!

I've only heard it as "toe" the line. There's a scene in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets where Ron Weasley's mom is yelling at him through a red envelope and warms him that "one more toe on the line" and he's in big trouble.

That tangent aside, I believe it is "toe" the line, as in something you don't want to cross.

Victoria said...

Yeah, but Dominic, if you're towing something... like say a big boat, you'll use a tow line... so if you're "towing" the line, you're just... following along... no?

See A Fan! Brain explosion! :) Get your toe off that line! ;)