Tuesday 29 April 2014

I Think I Give Up

I never quit on a book.

Although, I feel like I maybe have once before, but generally I'll slog my way through a book once I've started it (like I owe it to the book somehow?  Or I'm just that stubborn that I figure if I picked up the book and chose to read it I HAVE to finish it?)

So, yeah.  I always finish books.  Even if I'm not enjoying them at all.

But... as you may have guessed, I think I'm going to quit reading the book I'm reading right now.

Not to name any names, but it's about a street, and a wolf.  And I think if I want to know how it ends I can just watch the movie.

Which, really, is why I got the book in the first place.  I love books that get turned into movies, they're usually great reads.

Not.  This.  One.

You guys, I'm halfway through and each time I go to read another chapter it's painful.

I'm barely getting through a half chapter a night and even then I'm not enjoying it.  I can't even tell you how long I've been battling this book, a month?  Weeks?  No idea.  But for someone who loves to read and who will go through who knows how many chapters a night?  To be trying to force myself through a few pages of this book every night and barely managing?  And then to realize after all that work (reading shouldn't feel like work...) I'm only half way through the damn book?

I think I'm going to have to say no thanks.

I'm bored.  Nothing is happening.  Or, nothing of interest to me, anyway.  It feels like the same stuff over and over and I'm tempted to watch the movie just to see how they made it interesting.

Maybe if you take the first few chapters and a chapter or two from the middle and then the last few chapters it's a decently entertaining story.  I don't know.

So, yeah.  I'm feeling kind of guilty about it, but I think I'm actually going to quit on a book half way through.

Maybe I'll find someone who wants to read it and that'll make me feel better.

Enough painful evenings in bed with this brick I say.

Time for more fun!

4 comments:

kandijay said...

I used to be like that. I would read a book all the way through, even if it was awful, because I finish what I start, darn it!

That all changed when I got my Kindle. I have downloaded over 600 free books from amazon. Some are great and some are so awful you know why they are free. But I started to wonder why I was wasting my time reading stuff I didn't even like. Like realizing that now that I'm an adult I never have to eat boiled spinach again. :)

Jason Langlois said...

I think we all live in hope that maybe the next page it'll get better. We want the author to pull it out, make some kind of change that will improve the story. Sometimes, there's even a perverse pleasure in sticking with it.

Sort of like relationships.

Dominic said...

The butler did it.

HTH

Victoria said...

Fair enough Kandi ;)

So true Jason! :D

Again Dominic? Damn butler...