Friday 18 April 2014

Passing Through

I had another thought while down at the beach last weekend...

What if we treated other human beings the way we treat dogs we meet on the beach.

Here's what I mean.

I noticed as various dogs wandered past me and the people around me that most of us stopped what we were doing, reached out a hand, said hello, spoke with the dog, petted it if would allow it, and smiled.

Why don't we do the same with other people?  I mean, not necessarily the petting and stuff, but the saying hello in a simple, easy, happy-making way.

My feeling about it is that we don't want to engage in a conversation.  We just want a quick, positive connection with something that isn't going to be weird or uncomfortable or take up too much of our time or energy.  Like, a dog doesn't exactly invade your private "me time" when it's just passing through.

But maybe our lives would be a lot richer if we connected with each other more.

You know, a metaphorical reaching out of a hand to be sniffed.

God, that sounded weird!




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It does not sound weird. Over here in Cambridge there are specific neighbourhoods, mine is small with lots of dead end lane etc. so not many cars or people cutting through to get elsewhere.
When I am out and about and if I pass someone I reckon they live here so I say 'good morning' or 'afternoon' and always get the same greeting back or a smile & a nod.
Canadian Anne in England who remembers Canadian life where she knew every single person on her street.



Victoria said...

Cool :)