Friday 27 June 2014

Not A Golf Analogy

I had an(other) interesting realization with regards to Jason the other day.

We were talking about his business and I was listening to his plans and kept asking him questions about small, immediate details of how he was going to manage this, that or the other.

He told me that he was talking in terms of the long game, not the short game and I realized that I can't do one with out the other.  I maybe see the long game, but my focus is always on the short game and how to deal with that.

Which made me wonder if that's a bit of an issue for me in terms of relationship.  Playing the long game instead of the short game?  I mean, yes, there's some value in looking at a partner and asking yourself if he would make a good husband, or someone you wanted to spend the rest of your life with, but if I'm continually doing that, continually wondering if we'll see each other next weekend when we're hanging out on a Monday, am I playing the long game in my head instead of being in the short game right now?

I don't know, I'm not saying the analogy is perfect or that it even works, it just kind of triggered some thoughts in my head that I'm not even sure are making sense now that I'm trying to say them out loud.

Like maybe when I'm stuck thinking about the long term of a relationship, I'm not actually seeing the good in the right now of it.

Annnnyway.  That was a weird babble, eh?

Guess it's good it's the weekend.  Here's hoping this is a good one, I'm tired of pushing through the rough ones.

4 comments:

Army of the Frenetic said...

Like that analogy: "Can't see the forest for the trees."

Or, more, accordingly: "Can't see the golf hole for the green."

Victoria said...

Can't see the fairway for the grass?

Cant' see the bunker for the sand?

Wait.. I'm confusing myself ;)

Katie Tikalsky said...

I know what you mean. I do this a lot. Always looking towards the "end" or where things are going instead of listening to my feelings about the now. You practically put my thoughts into words here :)

Victoria said...

Cool :)

I mean, not cool, but I bet we're not alone ;)