Saturday 21 February 2015

So....

I'm really not sure what happened but I'm lucky yesterday morning didn't go any differently.

I think I've told you about my multiple alarm system before, but just to put it back into our collective memories; I set my alarm for an hour earlier than I have to get up.  Then it wakes me and I re-set it for an hour later.  Then I also have a second alarm clock that wakes me up with gradual light so that when I'm getting up, it's light in my room.

Except when I'm extra sleepy I'll often just keep snoozing the second alarm until the light alarm switches off because that's my time signal for ok no now seriously you have to get up V.

So yesterday morning I had had a bad night and knew I wouldn't be getting more than four or five hours of sleep.  So I guess I was very happily alseep when my body (which is pretty good at waking up at my regular time when I keep it regular) sort of went hey, it's pretty light out and I opened my eyes to peek at the clock.  And it was already past time my second alarm should have been going off and it wasn't.

So maybe I shut the alarm off instead of forwarding it an hour?  I've never done that before but that's my best guess... that I was so out of it/sleepy that I just hit the wrong button somehow.

And then I went back to sleep.

Um... yeah.  I WENT BACK TO SLEEP!

No, I don't really know why except that I sort of still didn't HAVE TO HAVE TO get up so I was relieved and closed my eyes again.

Reminder:  I didn't have an alarm that was snoozed that would go off again.  I... didn't think of this, I just went back to sleep.

Fortunately, my brain did clue in when the light alarm turned off, even though my room was pretty light from natural outside light (YAY, Spring!) so I don't really know why I registered it, but all of a sudden I realized I had pretty much nearly slept myself out of getting up at all that morning.

Yikes.  So glad it worked out as well as it did... not sure what happened, but if it happens this weekend I'll be making some changes, that's for sure!

4 comments:

Anne Roy said...

How close is the alarm to your bedside? You might do better if you have it in the room but out of arms reach so that you have to rise to stop the noise. Then you could have it set for the time when you DO need to start to get ready.

Victoria said...

I've tried that ;) (I would just get up, turn it off and go back to bed! lol)

Jason Langlois said...

The only alarm that has consistently worked for me the last while is the vibrating one on my Fitbit.

And it works almost entirely because of the guilt I feel if I don't get up and at least make an attempt to go to the gym before work.

Victoria said...

Awesome that you can do morning workouts Jason... I always think I could when I'm going to bed at night but then by the morning .... later in the day just seems like a better idea ;)