Wednesday 22 April 2015

Zoned

I had an acupuncture appointment last weekend and I mentioned to her that I'd had a really hard week including some pretty bad nights of anxiety that had been really hard.  She said she'd throw in a couple of extra points for anxiety.

I didn't think much about it until I was driving to C-Dawg's after the appointment and feeling a little dazed in the car.

Not sleepy, just really kind of zoned out.

And that's when I turned the wrong way down a one way street.

(Victoria has a few sets of streets leading in and out of downtown that are three or four laned in one direction.  Very clearly marked, and alternating, and it's super clear and obvious which are which.)

I knew instantly something was wrong and the person yelling "YOU'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY" solidified it.  I pulled right over and there was no traffic coming, (which is also perhaps why I didn't have a solid visual cue, no one sitting at the intersection?) and pulled a safe U turn.

It was an unsettling experience.  A lady asking for change yelled at me for my driving and I calmly said "we all make mistakes."

A guy on a bicycle was next to me and smiled at me.  I shrugged and said that I've lived here twenty years and only done that once.  He told me he'd done it too, I thanked him for that and we high fived.  "It's good to take these things in stride," he said. "Have a great rest of your day!" And we went (safely) on our way.

I know it happens, but I was surprised that I'd made the mistake.  Realized I probably shouldn't have been driving, and was very cautious as I made it to C-Dawg's place.

So I guess I'm here to say that the acupuncture worked.  And that next time I might just walk to my appointment.


7 comments:

Jason Langlois said...

I'm impressed you've only done that once. I thought it was a requirement of residency in Victoria to try and go down a one way street one every 5 years or so. And to try and make a left turn off Douglas onto Johnson at least once a decade.

Victoria said...

Thanks!

And, no, I either didn't get that info in my residency package or I'm not yet a true resident. (I think I did Vancouver onto Yates maybe?)

Chris said...

when I first moved to Victoria I thought it was so confusing. but in reality it's not! I have to admit, I've done it myself. once...

Victoria said...

It does have some confusing parts, like streets that have seventeen different names over two blocks!!! (I might be exaggerating slightly) ;)

Chris said...

I find that street names change when they cross boundaries between Victoria, Saanich, Oak Bay.

But I must say, I still love Victoria!

Victoria said...

Indeed. But coming from the mainland, the boundaries are soclosetogether! ;)

Jonathan Beckett said...

I do completely bone headed things sometimes. We all do.