Thursday 21 May 2015

Daddy Mac'll Make You.... Jump! Jump!

I feel like I maybe took another leap somewhere in here in terms of my photography.

Not so much my skill, but more in terms of how I'm seeing things and my expectations for what I'm producing.

Not that that's necessarily a good thing, but it's where I'm at right now.

(And I should say, the photos that I use here, are at best, a year old, I stopped updating this particular account a year ago so these are all old photos, or older... from a while ago...)

See, my "workflow" (as they call it) has me editing a photo in Aperture (yes, I know they're discontinuing it, but I can't afford to buy anything else at the moment) and then putting it into a file either called "for review" (meaning I want to take another look at it) or "ready to go out" (meaning, I'm happy with it and feel it's ready to be published when I feel like putting a photo out there.

Except I've had a bunch of photos sitting in "ready to go out" for probably a month now and I keep just not liking them.

And then I went and looked at them all this weekend and they weren't very good.

Or, I guess, they weren't as good as I wanted them to be and I didn't want to put them out as representative of me.  I didn't like them enough for that.

It was... interesting.  An odd feeling.  Disappointing in some ways, because I'd liked them quite a bit not to long ago, but maybe a little pleasing because I was seeing them differently and not thinking they were "good enough."  I don't know.  I guess it's just sort of a jump in seeing things that I wasn't really aware I had made.

Go figure, eh?

2 comments:

Jason Langlois said...

This sounds like the problem with taking English courses in University because you like to read. Pretty soon, you can't read anything for fun, because all you see are its failures, biases, and mechanisms and lose the joy.

Victoria said...

Maybe, yeah. I actually stopped pursuing an English degree because I didn't like being told that my interpretation was wrong!