Wednesday 17 June 2015

Ahhhhhhhh

I've always lived near the ocean.

Well, except for the year I lived in England, but even then... it's a giant island, really.

But what I mean is I've always lived really near the ocean, not just "I live on an Island" near the ocean.

Other than Burning Man, which occurs in the middle of an ancient lake bed turned desert, I generally always vacation/holiday by a body of water.  Often the ocean.

My parents would tell you I'm a "water baby", and I do like swimming and floating in the water although the ocean's a tad cold for me these days.  (I have no idea how kids do it... it's like we don't feel cold when we're young or something.)

I've been noticing lately that going to sit by the ocean calms me down.  Makes me feel mellower and more centered, if that makes sense.  Science would suggest that it's the "negative ions" and, well, sure.  I do know I can tell that the air feels different when I get within a certain distance of the ocean.  Connor even mentioned it on our drive back from Burning Man that first year.

So, yeah, I've been sitting next to the ocean a lot more lately.  I always have, but now I'm doing it a bit more consciously and purposely.  And I think it helps me feel calmer.

3 comments:

Jason Langlois said...

For me, its also a bit of the rhythms. The waves come in, the waves go out. There's the background noise that makes, too. It's sort of like a natural meditation counter, and it can really help center you.

Anne Roy said...

Oh, if I knew I had forgot that you had lived on this island. Where did you live?

I am in Cambridge ...

Cdn Anne in England

Victoria said...

Abingdon, Oxfordshire :)