Saturday 18 July 2015

Ask Yourself

How often do you have a conversation behind someone's back that you should be having with them.

And I'm not talking about the complaining, frustration type stuff, although that's a valid thing... say it to them or don't say it, kind of idea, I mean the positive stuff.

How many times do you talk about how awesome someone is.  How talented they are.  How much you enjoy their art/company/cooking/voice/service/friendship/whatever it happens to be?

And how often do you say that to the person?

Instead of telling someone about your friend Steve who makes the best apple pie you've ever tasted, have you actually told Steve he makes the best apple pie you've ever tasted?

Do you have a co-worker who has the best hair?  Does she know you think so?

Does it always make you smile when the barista remembers your name and can make you your order just the way you like it?  Have you told them they make your day?

I just... it's hard, sometimes, to give a compliment.  But man... how great would it be if we passed on what we love, admire and enjoy about each other TO each other?

Yeah...

4 comments:

Jason Langlois said...

I go out of my way to tell people what awesome stuff they're doing. The frustration isn't in the giving the compliment - it's in how fast its dismissed, or how some negative comment is given far more weight.

But over time, I've seen my positive comments slowly take effect. Because I have a lot of talented and capable friends.

Victoria said...

You are awesome Jason! I can imagine that frustration, and am so proud of you for going ahead and not giving up. You rock.

Elliott said...

I try and compliment people as often as possible. I know how much a comment from a friend or stranger bouys me up, so I try and pay it forward whenever I can.

You never know how much of a positive impact a quick comment can make on a person's day, week, month. A heartfelt compliment could put a smile on someone's face for days.

Victoria said...

So true E, yay you!