Monday 6 July 2015

Hazy

The first year I went to Burning Man, there were extensive forest fires in California and at times, the smoke would make its way over the playa and there would be this slightly orange tinge to the light.  It was a very specific colour; one I hadn't seen again until yesterday.

I woke up yesterday morning and my brain went "Burning Man."

Turns out, there are forest fires burning in and around this area and the smoke had become trapped in the low lying areas, including over this fair city.

I texted Connor.  "Doesn't this look like playa light 2013?"  Because it did.  That orange haze.  Subdued light.

On the playa, the sun eventually burned it away.

Yesterday... the sun, even though predicted to be a scorcher, didn't.

I went out to see the pride parade mid morning and it was apocalyptic.

Really.

The "light sensing" lights were on because it was as dark as dusk.

But orange.  It was creepy.  I'm sure those who are in town know just what I mean.

And it didn't burn off all day. 

When I turned my lights on in the evening, you could see just how odd the light was.  The contrast between the "normal" inside lights and how my brain knew it should look outside was striking.

I feel for those in the fire areas, it must be terrifying.  I feel lucky to be able to complain about weird light and not be worrying about losing my home.

Stay safe out there my friends.  And be good to one another.

2 comments:

Jason Langlois said...

It was like we were in a real-life Michael Bay movie (he likes to tint things orange/blue).

I'm sure what we're experiencing is old hat for anyone who lives in a smog-zone, but there is something unsettling about smelling wood-fire on the air while surrounded by concrete buildings.

Victoria said...

Indeed