Thursday 9 July 2015

Who's That Knock, Knock, Knocking On My Window.... Sill?

I thought it might have been raining the other evening, because there was a strange noise my brain couldn't quite place happening somewhere outside.

It was close, but I couldn't tell how close as sometimes things echo.

I kept listening because a small part of me was concerned that it might be the popping of a small fire starting and we are having major problems with fires in our province right now and I wanted to make sure it wasn't that.

But I didn't see anything out the window, and the noise didn't increase and it wasn't continual enough and I just tried to ignore the noise and figured it would go away.

And then I heard it again yesterday after work.

Still couldn't tell what it was and then I saw a wasp fly away.

Ahhhhhh...... it all clicked into place.

And sure enough, another wasp came by (or maybe the same one) and scrape, scrape, scraped away at the wood on the side of my window pane.

I've seen wasps doing this before with soft enough wood.  My understanding is that they're chewing up the wood to help make their nest.

I tapped at the window a few times next time I saw one coming by but really it's not harming me (other than being a slightly irritating noise) and I don't feel like I want to stop them.  But we shall see.  Part of me wants to see what happens if I spray the wood with something like lime juice or something non toxic but maybe repellant.

Always interesting when nature reminds us we're not really in charge here.

6 comments:

Jason Langlois said...

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.

Also, that's kind of cool. When I was at the Harbourcats home opener, the osprey's were still working on their nest on the light pole (by the way, did you know there's osprey's nesting on the light pole in Royal Athletic Park?). That was pretty cool to watch.

Elliott said...

Personally I don't mind wildlife around. Not thrilled with stinging things like bees and wasps cuz their sting could kill me. But if they keep their distance, I'm fine them being around.

I just don't like mice in the house...they can have free run of the woods around the house, but please stay out there. They make a huge mess in our house and I don't make a mess in their house and that's how it should stay.

Anonymous said...

-Yeh, you need to get stung alright; sounds to me that their digging a hole through the soft 'under-belly' of your window sill in order to plant themselves inside your place...Looking for that fresh spot to build a good size nest whereupon they can come and go from your pad as often as they like; doing whatever they want; reaping of you, where they sowed not -so to speak- and just generally ruling your roost, because they know that as irritating as it is, you somewhat like their intrusive company. -As they don't really play fair...They really, simply, "play by their own rules...." And it exotically touches some forbidden recess of your heart and mind as a foreboding, yet...thrilling adjunct to your life...and now new lifestyle....! (Sweet Dreams tonight, my dear. 'Bzzzz; Bzzzt.')

Victoria said...

I think I knew that but forgot Jason, cool!

Oh yes, no mice inside please. Oh, and right, no wasps or bees around you E.

Gee, thanks Anon, no sleeping here tonight! ;)

Anonymous said...

Epic Failure: "their for they're" and "imitating for intimidating"." And (should read) 'a thrilling..."

-Lights, bells and whistles going off: Big Sign In Red Flashing, "Please Step Back From The Spell-Checker." Huge horn blasting, "Dernt; Dernt; Dernt!"

"Run for your lives: there are errors in the message...!"

-Shocking Pink!

Victoria said...

Geez, I do not know how to turn off this alarm system! It's loud too ;)