Tuesday 22 December 2015

Day 5: Six Things You Wish You Had Never Done

Happy Winter Solstice northerners!

I actually have a hard time with this one because I feel like even the decisions I made that I didn't end up enjoying have lead me to where I am now so.... therefore they're not really all that regrettable....  So I can't actually think of things I wish I had never done, there are things I would not like to do again perhaps? 

1.  Answered my parents honestly when they asked me if I'd ever tried the marry ju wana.  I had tried it and thought I should just answer them honestly.  They did not react well to this (it's a bigger deal to them than it is to, well me... and we'll just leave it at that.  It was a huge concern to them.)  and it really made our relationship strained and still upsets them to this day (that I had ever tried it at all.)

2.  Drank so much I threw up.  I really could have lived without that experience of sitting over the toilet bowl swearing I would never drink again if I could just stop feeling like this, please God make it stop.

3.  Helped someone out financially a lot more than I really should have.  It was really bad timing to boot and I'm still struggling financially.  It's not that I mind helping, it's that I feel like I over-extended. 

4.  Tried to be clever but actually incidentally teased my brother.  When we were kids, my brother and I were both in French Immersion.  I saw him crying, talking to our Mom about something that he was upset about and because I'd never seen him cry like that before I felt awkward.  I didn't know how to handle it, and because the French for he is crying and it is raining sound similar I tried to lighten the situation by saying "oh, he is raining" because... I thought it would be clever... or something.  That he'd recognize the pun and cheer up.  But.... when I said it, he just got more upset and I realized he probably just thought I was saying... hey look, my brother's crying.  I felt bad.  Still do, clearly.  I bet he doesn't even remember...

5.  I think this one is cheating because it's something that happened to me rather than something I actually did, but I wish I had never contracted the gastrointestinal... bug or whatever that I did on a trip that meant I was incredibly ill on a flight that seemed to be never ending on a tiny little charter plane.  I don't remember being that physically miserable and feeling like it would not end.  Horrible horrible time, even drugged up on whatever I was on.  So bad. 

6.  I sat here for a really long time trying to think of another one and now I'm cheating again and I'm totally ok with this!  I wish I had never read some of the really awesome books I've read because then I could read them again for the first time!  Although, I suppose then I wouldn't know that they're awesome and might not read them but still... I would love to have that first go of some of my favourite books again.

4 comments:

Jason Langlois said...

I find there's a few things I "wish I hadn't done", but if I scratch the surface of that wish... I dunno, it turns out I'm not actually that upset I did them.

Even my bad decisions have been filed into a section of things that probably made me a better person.

Oh, I can think of one. I wish I'd not bought the chicken kievs from the butcher shop that used to be downtown on Douglas St. Worst. Food. Poisoning. Ever. Even just typing this out makes me gag, and it's been over a decade.

Maybe wasting an hour watching "The Human Centipede" or "Grease 2" should be on that list, too.

Victoria said...

Oh man... food poisoning is one of those things I would totally have put on this list, I'm so sorry!!!

Elliott said...

Like you there are decisions that were made that have led me to where I am. I can't think of many I've regretted. A couple are career related. I wish I had have gone back for a Masters. Either Tax or Business or Stats.

I hope you have the Merriest Christmas possible and a Happy New Year. I hope 2016 is better for you.

Victoria said...

To you as well Elliott!