Wednesday 6 January 2016

Nope

I often scratch my head when people, especially Americans, refer to Canada as this place that's constantly covered in snow.

I mean, sure, I know it's a silly/funny stereotype, but as I'm watching people share their shots of skiing and snow days while I sit here WISHING we'd get a flake or two, I wonder where that stereotype came from.  I'm sure there are tons of places in the states that get far more snow, or just as much snow as parts of Canada.  Is it maybe that there are those Southern states that never really get snow at all?  (I'm looking at you, Florida...but hey, even there I could be wrong, what do I know?)

Anyway... I think this came up because the weather forecast has been saying ooooh maybe snow/rain for a couple of weeks now, but nope.  Nada.  Just the wet stuff.

Which, I know is fine but I'm a little jealous of all the people with all their snow... from up here in this "great white North".... or... not.

8 comments:

kandijay said...

I know what you mean. My boss moved here (Michigan) from Texas a few years ago. And he said he was excited to live in a place that "will always have a white Christmas." Yeah. This year Texas had snow and we did not.

Jason Langlois said...

Pretty sure it's because the image of Canada that most people have is based on Toronto/Ottawa/Montreal, which have things like skating on the frozen canals, snow storms, and maple syrup on snow treats.

That, or they've been to Edmonton.

Victoria said...

It's been a strange winter so far for weather Kandi :/

Fair enough Jason. *sits here in the not-snow* ;)

Anne Roy said...

I moved from southern Ontario to England & I have heard more than once about how Canada is covered in snow. The disbelieving faces when I tell them it be minus 35 in the winter AND plus 35 in the summer ...
England for me is NEVER hot nor is it ever COLD.

Cdn Anne in England

Victoria said...

I sat at the beach in the sun today, there was at least one person suntanning (and a rather brave one swimming!)so I don't think I'll be parking my dogsled behind my igloo tonight ;)

Jonathan said...

Surely people realise that Canada is HUGE though - i.e. far bigger than North America ?!? - so will have a huge range of climates...

Or maybe I'm just presuming people in the US ever look at maps :)

kandijay said...

Erm, Jonathan, Canada is part of North America. Did you mean it is bigger than the US? Because, yes, it is. A lot of Americans know that. But Southerners seem to think anything below 70F degrees is "freezing."

Victoria said...

I think they realize it's big, but it's also... you know... North? I dunno man ;)

Most of us Canadians live right next to the border so I figure those Americans know what kind of weather we get Kandi! :)