Tuesday 23 February 2016

Sigh

My judgement on this may be clouded by the fact I was woken up from a deep sleep at about three am, but... anyway.
So two drunk girls (I'm assuming drunk because SO LOUD.  Also, three am) were coming home and I was woken up by their loud conversation in the parking lot/back door area of our building.  (I sleep with my windows open even on chilly nights because I love the fresh air!)

From what I can gather, one of the girls felt... left out, or unimportant.  Her complaint was that no one new her.  That no one knows who she was, or her name, or even her birthday.

Which... I'm not really sure how that's an indicator of how well someone knows you (I think I can tell you C-Dawg's birthday but... I'm not 100% sure, and I know her really well and love her dearly.) but this girl was quite certain it meant a lot.

It was hard to tell who was speaking but one of the girls asked the other if she even knew her birthday.

And the other replied with "April 24th"  or something  "April 28th?"  At which point the other girl shrieked.  "HA!  YOU CAN'T JUST WIN THIS ARGUMENT BY GUESSING MY BIRTHDAY!"

So... I guess she was right?  Or something?

They stumbled their way inside not long after this so I didn't get to hear the conclusion of the argument but wide awake now all I could think was that it seemed like a strange thing to bring up as some sort of proof that no one cares about you, or knows you or whatever the initial complaint was.

I don't know people's birthdays!  My computer knows and reminds me and that's how I know.  Before that I had them written down on a perpetual calendar thing.  But I don't KNOW them know them... you know?

Anyway.  I'm not saying drunken three am conversations have to make much sense but I'd be more upset at no one knowing my name than I would about no one knowing my birthday.

And I'm still a little grumpy from the lack of sleep, anyway.

Sigh.

4 comments:

Jason Langlois said...

Isn't the primary function of facebook to remind us of people's birthdays?

And no one should have deep conversations of self-pity in parking lots at 3AM.

Elliott said...

I hope that remembering birthdays is not a good indication of how well you know someone or how good of a friend you are. I've never been big on birthdays and it's all I can do to remember my family birthdays let alone anyone else's birthday.

I don't blame you for being grumpy about lack of sleep...I would be too.

Jonathan Beckett said...

I don't even know all of my children's birthdays all the time - they come and go - sometimes I can remember them all, sometimes not - I think I filled my head up with too much rubbish when I was younger :)

Victoria said...

But they were drunk Jason! You can have 3 am conversations anywhere when you've been drinking! ;)

Meh, birthdays, schmirthdays, I think there are other ways to feel like people know/like you than them having a good memory for dates E :)

I know my birthday J, does that count? :D