Monday 7 March 2016

Well, There You Go Then

Something I discovered this weekend is that squirrels actually make noises.

I don't know why, but I sort of always saw them as silent creatures.  Or maybe just quiet, chittering at each other in forests and .... squirrel holes together.  I know they chirp, but that's about it I always thought.

I certainly didn't expect what I found this weekend, that's for sure!

I have a surprising amount of wildlife that lives sort of around my place.  I guess there are enough trees and things around that it's not TOO city, and so I get to hear lots of animal noises.  There's a hawk and of course crows and seagulls, and raccoons and cats (if they count) and all of their noises I know and recognize.

Well, over the ... years (? I dunno... a while) I've heard a sort of dying bird sound.  I figured seagull or something, but like this squalk of not so nice.  Don't hear it all that often but it always sounds like a dying animal kind of sound.

Which is why I was surprised to hear it, look outside and see a little squirrel making the noise!

At first I thought it was just co-incidence.  That the squirrel just happened to be around while the bird was doing the dying squalk thing but no... I watched his/her little chest filling and emptying with air while that wee squirrel made that hideous noise!  WHAT?

I can assume it's the time of year when perhaps things are starting to attract mates and put it down to that and, no, it's not a sound I particularly feel like researching but man... I had no idea that squirrels could be that vocal.  I still can't really connect that sound with that little fluffy tailed rodent.

What else is making weird noises that I don't know they make?  My world is.... not as it seems!

8 comments:

Jason Langlois said...

That's kind of disturbing. I'll never look at squirrels the same way again!

Victoria said...

Well then don't google "squirrel scream" just saying.

Also? Three tissues and the same dried black bananas. (Assuming they're tissues... could have been paper towel, I dunno)

Jason Langlois said...

But is the wood gone?

This feels like it has potential as a modern art installation. "100 photos of banana peels: a rumination on the modern bourgeois worker"

Victoria said...

Yup, wood gone. And yeah, you've got a great idea there! Modern art for sure :D

Just Sayin... said...

\I've heard this sound a few times. Always confused. lol

Victoria said...

Such a weird sound right?

Just Sayin... said...

I was up north (kitimat) the first time I experienced it. lol so weird.

Victoria said...

*shudder*