Tuesday 26 April 2016

Suspension

When I was five, our family went to Disneyland.

I have lots of little memories from the trip, including the terrifying moment I thought I was forever locked in the bus bathroom (I have issues with bathroom locks!) and how real and frightening the shark was in the ride in the place we took the bus ride to (Universal Studios?) (spoiler, it wasn't real, but I didn't know that at the time)

There's this wonderful photo of me, meeting a Disney princess and my five year old eyes are as big as saucers because it was actually her.  For reals.  (see shark, above)

My Mom was reminding me of this, via the photo my Dad took of the meeting, and it got me thinking... in my mind, that princess is the same age. 

But in reality... the person who *was* that princess when I was five... is no longer that age.  She has aged. 

And then my brain exploded.

Because suspension of disbelief is way more fun, mkay?  Thanks.

8 comments:

kandijay said...

Isn't it weird how your brain processes time? I have the same thing when I see someone I haven't seen in years, I think, "Why do they look so different?" Or my brother's best friend who died when I was 9... When I think of him, I have a hard time wrapping my mind around the fact that he was 16 and I am nearly 20 years older than he ever lived to be.

Victoria said...

So strange! I saw someone I hadn't seen since high school and was genuinely confused as to why they looked "so old" I mean, they're 17/18, right? Or seeing a friend's child I haven't seen in a long time and wondering why they look like a teenager when they're clearly only 6 or 7.

So odd.

kandijay said...

Right? It's like if something doesn't happen in front of our eyes it doesn't happen at all!

Jason Langlois said...

That was the Jaws ride at Universal. I remember seeing that when I was maybe 8. So much easier to suspend disbelief at that age.

And it's not just our perception of other people... I'm pretty sure in our own head we're forever in our late teens/early twenties. It's gotta be the reason why we figure it's a good idea to stay up late partying on a the weekend.

kandijay said...

Good point, Jason!

Victoria said...

That's exactly it Kandi! I wasn't there, so it didn't happen! :D

OMG Jason did that shark try to get you too? And the flood? SO SCARY!!!

Jason Langlois said...

There was also a collapsing bridge and an avalanche tunnel when I went. :)

Victoria said...

I think I remember a bridge? But yeah, SCARY!!!