Tuesday 10 May 2016

That Time Pizza Made Me Cry

Jason and I had a busy stressful shoot Friday and were both exhausted and kind of grumpy Saturday.

Around lunch time he texted me and mentioned that he'd woken up craving deep dish pizza.  We talked about pizza for a while and he said that there was a place in town he knew of that did slices and gluten free too.  I checked their online menu to make sure they had gluten free and told him I'd pick up a couple of slices and head over to his place for a chill lunch.

I figured we both deserved it and it'd be nice to sit in the sun and talk about the shoot.

I got to the place and chose the slices for Jason and asked the guy there if they had any gluten free slices.

No.  They didn't.  Gluten free has to be special ordered.

And for whatever reason, in that moment, it hit me really really hard and I paid, left, and started to cry.


Not eating certain things by choice is one thing, but to have the choice taken away from you because of an allergy or an illness, well, it makes these little life moments that much harder.  You can't just go and grab a couple of slices of pizza to go sit and eat with your friend.  Not having that one, small, simple choice, in that moment, hurt.

I know this isn't really a problem and I know I'm lucky to live the life I do.

It just made me sad not to be able to do this one simple thing.  Breaking bread with someone can be a powerful thing; a bonding thing.  It's just not quite that simple for me, and sometimes that's hard.

6 comments:

Jonathan Beckett said...

Our eldest is coeliac. She forgot to check the label on a bag of Doritos last week, and was sick the next day... she goes for months at a time being careful, and then makes a mistake, and is reminded - like you were - how crappy the world is sometimes.

Victoria said...

Ugh, give her a hug from me.

Jason Langlois said...

That's just brutal. I sympathize.

Victoria said...

T'anks.

Elliott said...

I know how you feel. I'm deathly allergic to seafood. Much easier to avoid than your issue, but I still get left out sometimes if people want to get sushi. I don't miss the food, but I miss the visiting with colleagues.

Victoria said...

Oh man. Yeah, somehow that would feel worse to me... gluten only tries to kill me slowly, not instantly. But yeah, the missing out on visiting and socializing can really suck.